1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT

I wanted to share some photos of my current project, a documented 1969 SS CHEVROLET IMPALA 427/390hp car. I been looking for one of these for a while now, my last Impala project took me 14 years to complete ( a young family and available funds delayed the project.. lol ) I was very fortunate to acquire many, if not all of the nos parts from the previous owner to bring this SS back to it's former glory.

I'll post pictures as the restoration get's underway !

Steve

post-88015-143142917007_thumb.jpg

post-88015-143142916974_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveimpala (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest myold88
Probably not too many four speeds.

My buddy in Davie.Fl recently sold his '69 Impala SS 427, factory 4 speed, convertible. A silver bench seat car. Very few

were built, and it was the last year for the real full sized SS. Several years ago there was one in light green, White conv

top and interior at GM carlisle. Again a documented 4 speed 427 car that was a nice #2-3 car.

Guest myold88
A friend of mine also purchase a 1969 Impala SS at GM Carlisle back in 2005. His was also a documented 427 4 speed convertible, Frost Green with a black top and interior!

The one I saw was for sale. The seller had a large 3x5 place card spelling out the car's stats. It could have been the same car but I

believe it was light green with white, not black trim if my memory is not fooling me. I remember it because again, my buddy's car

had the same exact equipment at the time.

• 3 years later...

It's been a few years, but I wanted to share some updates...Quarter panel repair work was done by Jeff over at Penn-Dutch Restorations...trunk extensions and wheel wells had to be fabricated. The patch work on the quarters were taken from a section of a sedan quarters that I received when the car was purchased. Currently , I'm working on the front end, installing nos fenders / checking proper alignment and transferring all of the attachment locations from the original fenders body molding and scripts  to the new ones.

Some before and after pictures:

20150929_140738.jpg

20150929_140717.jpg

8829.jpeg

8828.jpeg

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite cars.  Great work so far!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I need to drill out a hole on the top of the passenger side front fender for the radio antenna mast. Due to the size of the hole, I don't want to drill, for fear of tearing the metal..... is there a tool out there that could punch out a perfect hole without damaging the surrounding metal ? 

Thanks !

20180816_005731.jpg

Steve,

Center the hole and start with a 1/4'' or slightly larger bit. Then use a step drill to proper size. It will look like a factory punched hole.

You could probably get by with a harbor freight tool but a Irwin will last forever.

This is also the best method to enlarge any existing hole.

Dennis

• Like 1

I ended up using the "step drill bit" and finished it up with the Dremel..... turned out great !  Also as a side note, I had a hard time trying to align the passenger side fender. Using the body shims, I still could not get the proper gap between door and fender. Then I realized that the radiator support bushings were never replaced when the body bushings were replaced by previous owner. New radiator support bushings were installed and that made all the difference in attaining proper gap.

Steve

20180821_221655.jpg

• Like 2

• STEVE POLLARD changed the title to 1969 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS 427 PROJECT
  • 11 months later...

Just an update from last year.... slow going ( health issues ) but making some progress. I ended up removing the fenders and coating the inside with POR-15.... the firewall,  radiator support , headlight buckets and support brackets were all painted. Remounted the fenders & realigned them as well. Basically I want to finish the front end and go thru all the mechanical's and get the Impala running before moving onto paint. Since the Impala came to me in boxes, I just want to make sure that I have everything and nothing is damage. Slow process but I enjoy it !

Steve

20190810_153805.jpg

20190810_153829.jpg

• Like 2

I really love that car! Doing an awesome job. My first car was a 1966 Impala Super Sport 327. I believe it had a 275 hp motor.

I bought it when I was 17, and I would say that the car was maybe slightly better than your car in it's pre-restoration condition. I paid $200...but that was in 1976. Car was sold a year or two after I bought it, but I still have the original hub caps.

Thanks for sharing your pics. That thing will look great when you're done.

• Like 1

John, approximately 2455 of the SS427 package were manufactured... not sure if there is a break down of how many 427 full size were produced for model year 1969.... ( Impala, Caprice, Biscayne, Bel Air, Wagons: Brookwood, Townsman, Kingswood )

Steve

* Note -  Just found some more info...

L-72   ( 427 / 425 )    546 produced

L-36  ( 427 / 390 )    5582 produced

LS-1  ( 427 / 335 )  18308 produced

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

What a great car.  If you are looking for any additional parts, I know of about 5 of them in a junkyard here in Virginia (Not  SS427's, of course).

• Thanks 1

I might take you up on that....I'm missing the "catch support bracket", it's the bracket that is located under the hood latch plate ( vertical bracket in picture ) I have a friend looking in his stash of parts... if he comes up empty, I'll contact you via pm.

Thanks !

Steve

20190904_194737.jpg

Steve, sounds good.  Our next trip to the yard is Sep 11th.

-Chris

• Thanks 1