sunroof water leak

harry yarnell

Water's getting in thru the sunroof. I've pulled the roof panel off, but can't find any drain tubes.

Secondly, is the roof panel's seal supposed to keep water out? Are replacement seals available?

Mine SEEMS intact, but has a 3/4" gap at the ends of the seal; they don't butt.

I'm also CONSIDERING sealing the sunroof shut with RTV, as I NEVER use the thing.

Any advice as to where to apply the sealant?

Harry, go to the last post in the above thread for the best advice. On a prior coupe with factory sunroof I discovered one of the rear drain tubes was pinched shut from the factory causing a leak. Just look in the 4 corners of the sunroof channel to find the drains. A quick shot of compressed air will tell you if you have a clog. Clearing the clog might be as easy as directing air into the drain or may require the removal of the headliner. My clog was inside the "B" pillar and took some disaasembly to get at it. I do NOT recommend sealing up the sunroof as a repair when the fix is not that difficult.

• 4 months later...
Harry' date=' go to the last post in the above thread for the best advice. On a prior coupe with factory sunroof I discovered one of the rear drain tubes was pinched shut from the factory causing a leak. Just look in the 4 corners of the sunroof channel to find the drains. A quick shot of compressed air will tell you if you have a clog. Clearing the clog might be as easy as directing air into the drain or may require the removal of the headliner. My clog was inside the "B" pillar and took some disaasembly to get at it. I do NOT recommend sealing up the sunroof as a repair when the fix is not that difficult.[/quote']

Hey, very useful info. I was ready to weatherstrip glue myused rubber in place to stop the leak and then found your link.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/weather-stripping-sun-roof-buick-reatta-311166.html

Re: weather stripping for sun roof buick reatta

the sunroof weatherstripping is just a decoration, and is not designed to keep out water.

if you're having issues with water leaks, the problem is with clogged drain tubes, not the weatherstrip gasket. there are four tubes, one on each corner. removal of the headliner will be necessary to properly do the job.

remove the hose clamp that secures each tube to the sunroof assembly, and blow out the tubes with compressed air. you won't believe all of the garbage that comes out. the front tubes drain behind the front wheels, and the rear tubes in front of the rear wheels.

Mike Rukavina

Just in time. Now to locate the dump tube at the wheels. Found the fronts easily. Rears not so much.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)