Reatta FINALLY made someone's classic list.

Bushwack

Well, unless it is meant in jest, it is nice to have some recognition that it merits consideration as a classic car even if the going price doesn't reflect that.

Taking a chance on the Reatta is sort of like dating the cute but slightly awkward girl in high school. The one with librarian glasses and the weird laugh. Years later she turned out to be a great catch - sane, intelligent and still has her looks. Meanwhile, the head cheerleader everyone lusted after has divorced three times, weighs 500 pounds and cooks meth in a trailer while watching The People's Court reruns all day when she isn't screaming at her two hyperactive kids; one of whom just got a chunk of Twinkie stuck in their ear canal.

Yeah, I like the Reatta in that scenario.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

The AACA recognizes all cars 25 years and older - all 1990 cars are accepted as of Jan 1 - 2015 - cars must be stock though

The AACA recognizes all cars 25 years and older - all 1990 cars are accepted as of Jan 1 - 2015 - cars must be stock though
You are probably correct but, could you please point out where the AACA says the cars must be stock? I'm sure it is here on the AACA's website somewhere if that is the case. Only allowing cars in the AACA that are stock sure would eliminate a lot of folks from participating in club events who have made changes to their cars.

Guest my3buicks

I should phrase that only cars that are stock can be shown at a National AACA event, you don't even have to own a car to be in the AACA. There are no classes for cars that are modified and they are also not permitted on the showfield.

I should phrase that only cars that are stock can be shown at a National AACA event, you don't even have to own a car to be in the AACA. There are no classes for cars that are modified and they are also not permitted on the showfield.
They do not sway from anything that isn't able to be documented as factory correct

The above just doesn't seem to jive with what is written in the AACA "Official Judging guidelines".

Below is an excerpt from the section of the guidelines that seem to apply to engines. It clearly states that there will be deductions for incorrect parts but I can't find where is says the car cannot be judged or will not be allowed on the showfield.

E. Engine

1. All radiator and hose clamps must be as provided by the manufacturer.

2. Modern radiator core material used in lieu of honeycomb or early type core material is non-authentic and will receive the maximum deduction, as shown on the judging form.

3. Added on fuel pumps (electric or mechanical) which replace or supplement the original type pump or fuel supply device on 1946 and later vehicles are considered non-authentic and will receive the maximum deduction. Added on fuel pumps on pre-1946 vehicles should be located out of view and installed in a workmanlike manner.

4. Electric starters are accepted for early Brass era vehicles up to 1915.

5. Non-factory air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, or hydraulic brakes added to vehicles not so equipped at the factory by the manufacturer are non-authentic and require the maximum deduction, as shown on the judging form.

I would agree that there isn't a class for modified cars (hot rods etc.) to be judged against one another, but to me that doesn't mean you couldn't enter a car in a show because it didn't have the correct wheels on it for example or had a spoiler added for looks. If they allow a car that has non-factory air conditioning installed on it to be judged then in my opinion they are allowing modified cars on the showfield to be judged.

There is also a Driver Participation class for cars that aren't intended to be point judged. Here is what the guidelines say about that class. I think my Reatta would fit into that class. I don't know if that class is allowed on a showfield or not.

Driver Participation (DPC)

The AACA Board of Directors in 2000 established DPC. This class is for the great 25 year old or older vehicles that our members enjoy driving whether it is on a tour, a cruise-in, or just having fun. This class allows for some nonauthentic upgrades, but in general, the vehicle looks essentially as it did when it came from the factory. DPC vehicles are not rigorously point judged: they are evaluated according to the guidelines of AACA.

I'm not wanting to be argumentative. I followed up on this because I'm thinking about joining the local AACA chapter now that my car is 25 years old and wondering if they would allow me to participate in the local events they put on. I wouldn't want my car to be judged but I would like to be able to take it to the local meets the chapter puts on as a member of the club.

I admit that I know next to nothing about judging. Perhaps I'm not seeing the big picture of how this show car stuff is supposed to work. As I get older that seems to be happening quite often. :)

Guest my3buicks

Ronnie, all I can say is I have been attending and showing cars in the AACA shows for 30 plus years, and they are very strict - local events are a different story, even many local chapter AACA shows have a modified class. There would not be an issue with you joining with your Reatta for the local stuff. At the national level, sure, things sneak in but if you show up in a 57 Chevy with cragers at the gate they will turn you right around. Even in the driven class there isn't a lot of leeway. Go to Hershey sometime and you will get the idea very quickly. You could probably sneak in with your wheels as chances are no one would be the wiser until it came to the judging. Even the car corrals at the AACA National meets are non-modified stuff and is policed within reason.

Hoping to get my AACA 1st Junior and Senior this season with the red Reatta conv.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Thanks Keith for sharing your experiences with the AACA. It is very helpful. Maybe the local chapter will welcome me and my antique Reatta or maybe I will be shunned for being the odd man out. I think I will know that after I attend my first meeting.

Prewar cars mostly came from the factory with one set of equipment. They do not seem to deduct for cars supplied as rolling chassis to independant body companies though which is about as far from stock as possible. Once you get into the options era though it gets a bit murkier. Most sanctioning bodies allow addition of options provided they are the same as installed by the factory and done the same way the factory would though there are some undefined areas. For example addition of an AC where available from the factory is generally OK but points will be deducted if not done properly (also add clutch fan, HD radiator, HD battery, 55A instead of 37A alternator and never with a 3.90 or 4.33 rear gear).

Some allow dealer installed options if available from the factory at the time the car was built. This is the category a 90 vert with 16x7 S60 wheels would fall or addition of 16ways on a car not equipped from the factory that way. However adding Riviera load levellers to a Reatta would not since never fitted by the factory that way.

Even from the start the AACA has realized there are such exceptions. From the AACA General Policy:

"The objective of AACA judging is to evaluate an antique vehicle, which has been restored to the same state as the dealer could have prepared the vehicle for delivery to the customer. This includes any feature, option or accessory shown in the original factory catalog, parts book, sales literature, or company directives for the model year of the vehicle. "

"Modifications that are required to conform to Federal law will not cause a point deduction."

This is for things like SAE approved headlamps or tires with FMVSS markings, or later recalls.

So the key is documentation, brochures, parts books, manuals, dealer option sheets, & TSBs. But heaven help you if an option or accessory is installed rong.

the 924 porshe.maybe the slowest porshe ever made.

The 924 was a dog and has essentially no resale value unless in pristine condition. But the "924" in the photo is either a 944 Turbo or 944 S2 - both of which are very fast. You won't find those at 924 prices. In fact the '88-'89 944 Turbo S was faster than the fastest 911 of those years. An embarrassing little detail that Porsche never allowed to happen again.

I don't know how the AACA feels about some issues, I have been a member for a few years and I love the magazine they print every other month. I am glad to see someone else in the AACA that has a Reatta. In all of the magazines over the past years I have never seen a Reatta. Lets hope the Reatta is finally ready to make a showing in a great club. I have never been to a AACA meet as there are just not any meets in Kansas. I think its time for all Reatta owners to join the AACA and make a showing.

Good luck on your first Junior and Senior and keep everybody posted

Think Spring