Thinking about this '91

Cargirl

Hello guys. I have been looking for some time for a nice and reasonably priced convertible. I have still not found one but am considering purchasing this car:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4784388588.html

I am a bit concerned about the engine swap. I would hate to be chasing down gremlins in a Reatta. They did not post interior photo's but claim the interior is nice with some wear on the drivers seat. (I checked EBAY for replacement seat covers but did not find factory type replacements)

I notice the engine covers are not on the car either, no big deal but not good either. Any thoughts on this car? The price seems right.

I do love the red/red and sunroof as well. very nice!

Guest Corvanti

i'd be more concerned that the sunroof actually works and doesn't leak. plus no interior pics. still worth checking out.:)

On the engine, I am just thinking about what my dad would have said. He was very cautious about such things. On the sunroof, since it does not rain here in Phoenix and I would not drive it in the rain, no problems there. That would not help at the car wash I guess LOL Sure wish it was a convertible, I would buy it on the spot!

This car is also on ebay. There are a few interior pictures of it there. It looks like a nice car to me, with the bonus that the engine is only at 80,000. I presume thr transmission is original, but even 110,000 isn't that bad on these cars if they've been maintained.

The sunroof is a bonus, and being an AZ car should have no rust to speak of. The price seems like a relative bargain for a 91 sunroof coupe. Looks like standard (6 way seats) which are quite nice, maybe even better than the 16 way (I tend to think so owning cars with both seat types). It is a whole lot of red for sure, though the white pinstripe looks very good on it. The all red look wouldn't bother me but some people are very particular about car color and may find it a bit much.

If everything checks out and no major repairs are needed (A/C can be big but doesn't make the car undrivable) I would probably go after it at this price. Don't worry, I won't be competing for this one, I am fully stocked with Reattae presently - and then some

KDirk

Wow, good eye on the EBAY listing KD. I don't know how I missed. Very nice interior for sure. Me personally, I lobe the red. I had a 1968 Camaro many moons ago with the same color scheme. I wish I had that still and this car would really bring me back. My only questions is since I have been looking for a convertible for months, would I be disappointed by the coupe. I love the coupes and have enjoyed 2 of them but was really looking for that rag top this time. So much to consider!

Well, it is a nice (and rather rare) color combo to my eye. If you like it, so much the better. I've heard others say it is too much red, but that is a matter of taste.

If you've already owned a Reatta coupe or two, then you already know what you are getting, more or less. Whether You'll enjoy it as much as a roadster is something I can't really answer on your behalf. I will say that I never considered one until a deal was handed to me on a silver platter, so to speak.

I never cared for convertibles, honestly. Thought they were noisy, leaky, and more trouble than they were worth. Then I bought one. I guess I can say that I "get it" now, as I have enjoyed it much more than I expected to. It is not as practical as a hardtop and so it sees limited use. That isn't a problem as I have other vehicles to use as daily drivers. I don't think I'd want it to be my only car, but as something different for special occasions and really nice days, it has a place in my collection.

You'll be hard pressed to find a nice (non project car) Reatta convertible for under $5000 based on current sales trends. I don't know your budget considerations but clearly a fairly nice coupe with reasonable miles can be had for well under $4k presently, this red car being a good example.

If you really want a 'vert, then hold out for one. Winter is the wise time to buy as prices tend to be depressed on drop tops. Come spring when people are really looking for one, asking prices go up accordingly.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

I just ran across said 91 on eBay. It is beautiful. I actually really like the color combo and it has obviously been cared for very thoroughly.