Decoding Data Plate - Confusion

Guest Craddosk

Guest Craddosk

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decode the data plate on the 1955/56 Oldsmobile that I've recently picked up. I've attached the photo of it as well. Reason for the confusion is that when I punch the model number into Google, it gives a 1958 Olds Super 88... Which doesn't make any sense.

Details are:

Model: 36-38SD

Serial: 53639805570

Engine: N9122406

Body Serial:L 64

Trim: 629

Paint: S588

If someone can help me figure out exactly what that data plate says, it'd be very appreciated!

post-105426-143142913485_thumb.jpeg

GM Canada used to have all that material, but not sure with "modern" GM, or if the records ever went back that far. I'll try.

36= Super 88

39SD= deluxe four-door sedan

53639= 1955 Super 88, 805570= car sequential serial #

You should find that engine number stamped somewhere on the engine. I think back then it was on front of the RH cylinder head, or may have been on LH head below the valve cover.

My Paint and Trim code books are packed up, but Oldsfan has that info. Not sure if it's the same for a Canadian car.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Canadian cars are different.

For the record, the tag shows 36-39SD. A 39SD would be a Holiday Sedan (hardtop as opposed to pillared). Here in the states it would be a 55-3639SD.

I might be able to match the trim number, but that is a unique paint code. S should denote Special two-tone (as opposed to standard two-tone, which would just be a different roof color). US paint codes are two two-digit numbers separated by a hyphen. That combination shows both colors and where they appear on the body. I have no idea what 588 would be.

Paul

Guest Craddosk

Thanks for all the information guys! I had started doing some googling and got confused so I figured it never hurts to ask! Thanks again.