Help Please, 1948 Nash Ambassador Question

Guest papaw

post-58373-143142912034_thumb.jpgWhen I removed the fuel pump today I found a steel loop attached to the bell housing. It moves back and forward and feels like it is shifting something. I have looked through all the shop manuals etc... and can find nothing. Can anyone tell me what this is for ? What does it do and should it be forward or back?

I have asked all over and no has had an answer. I can't believe I can't even find anything in the shop manuals. Really has me stumped. What really has me stumped is it seems to move something in the bell housing but seems to far forward to be clutch related. It is right where the engine and bell housing meet.

Edited by papaw (see edit history)

I have asked all over and no has had an answer. I can't believe I can't even find anything in the shop manuals. Really has me stumped. What really has me stumped is it seems to move something in the bell housing but seems to far forward to be clutch related. It is right where the engine and bell housing meet.
So you asked Mr. Havekost and he didn't know?

I posed your question about the circular bracket on the AMC Forum and have not yet received a reply. Maybe you could try contacting someone in the Nash Car Club (google it) and I'm pretty confident that someone will know what the function of that part is. Joe

My son stopped over today and was looking at the loop and had me push the clutch in. It moves back and forth as you push the clutch! Can not figure out the purpose of it yet. I also posted this in the general section of AACA and no luck there either. I went to look at a 1952 Ambassador today and does not have this loop. Wonder what years also this was used, as well as what for.