Hood ornament?

Guest S-o-l

Any help you can provide in identifying this item would be greatly appreciated. I looked at guides and found similar items but no exact match. I assume it's a hood ornament. If you could provide the year and model that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-105445-143142911491_thumb.jpg

post-105445-143142911449_thumb.jpg

post-105445-143142911462_thumb.jpg

post-105445-143142911471_thumb.jpg

post-105445-143142911481_thumb.jpg

The picture depicts the three hood ornaments that Chevrolet offered in 1935. I am aware of a book that was published showing the hood ornament the OP posted as belonging to a 30's Chevy, but it is wrong.

I sold prewar Chevy parts for many years. It is my opinion that the OP's hood ornament was a popular after market piece. When I sold the Chevy parts business, I kept a hood ornament for every year, production and accessory, Chevrolet 1927-1956.

Thanks for the help guys. I looked through many websites for this hood ornament and found similar items but nothing spot on. The bases were different and mine seems the like it may be missing something. But then again, it has the bolt at the bottom. I am at a loss and was happy to find this forum since you guys know way more than me.

Maybe this is an aftermarket piece. It looked like some after market chevy pieces I found here but nothing yet:

chevrolet_34-37_Hood_ornament_1+(1).jpg

Any more help would be greatly appreciated! :)

That is the book I was making reference to. The 34 is not Chevy, the 35 in the center is closer to a 36, the 35 deluxe (red wing insert) is not Chevy, the two bottom left ornaments (red and blue inserts) are are both official 35 accessory ornaments. The 36 on top left looks to be aftermarket. The 35,36,37 standard, (or production as the factory called them) are correct, as well as the 37 deluxe. The 37 production center right is quite rare.

Back in the day when I was selling Chevy parts I had a hood ornament exactly like the one in your pix. A customer 'enlightened' me to the fact my mascot was not Chevrolet but a product of JC Whitney.

How funny that I found the image that you were referencing! So is it settled that the ornament I have it an after-market hood ornament (J.C. Whitney) for a 1935 Chevy?

How funny that I found the image that you were referencing! So is it settled that the ornament I have it an after-market hood ornament (J.C. Whitney) for a 1935 Chevy?

bump

• 2 weeks later...
Check 34-36 Pontiac.

The Pontiacs also look close but no exact match. I see elements of the hood ornament in the following picture:

post-105445-143142931664_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it is a radiator cap? I see a similar looking pontiac radiator cap. That may also explain the lack of a base. Thoughts anyone?

If there are no numbers cast into the underside (under your thumb) it is an aftermarket piece. It is made to bolt to a radiator cap.

I see no numbers cast into the underside so it is therefore an aftermarket piece as you have indicated. Are we sure that this is a radiator cap accessory and not a hood ornament? Thanks again for all of your help. It is truly invaluable.

Are we sure that this is a radiator cap accessory and not a hood ornament? It is in my opinion. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer theirs.

Determining whether this was a hood ornament or radiator cap accessory was a big question for me. In looking at the pictures of hood ornaments for a bunch of cars, there are similar designs but all of the similarities stop when I look at the base/attachment point. It does appear to be an aftermarket piece for a GM manufactured vehicle most likely Chevy or Pontiac.

Curti - I really appreciate all of your help. Hopefully we can get agreement among the experts. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe there are some JC Whitney catalogs on line. Probably one from the 60"s will show it

Thanks for the lead. I was only able to find the vintage catalogs on ebay and they probably outweigh the value of the item. I am going to search around some more in the hopes I can find an old picture or scan of the catalog pages from way back when.