Found in the woods

Guest rjhartman68

Guest rjhartman68

Hello. I am not an automotive enthusiast. I am a photographer. I knew of this particular vehicle on my relatives property and decided to go photograph it. Turns out it's a 1948 or 1949 Buick Roadmaster in pretty bad shape. My reason for the post is to ask if any one has any thoughts on this vehicle. From the photos can you tell if there are any good parts? Is it worthy putting any effort into recovering any parts? Front and rear bumpers don't look bad. Hood is basically decent (one small - 3/4 inch) rust hole about in the center. Some of the trim and decorative rings look decent. Interior and floor boards are gone. Engine is still in the car (no pics of that). Appreciate any thoughts! Thanks - Ron

post-105422-143142910378_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910334_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910341_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910346_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910351_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910357_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910362_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910368_thumb.jpg

post-105422-143142910373_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjhartman68 (see edit history)

Ron,

All the "brightwork" has value, as does the body panels and doors.

You would be surprised at the value of the rear end parts.

I would be interested in the eng/tx parts.

Where is the car located (roughly) ?

Close to Colorado ?

Mike

Guest rjhartman68

Hi Mike - by "brightwork" I assume you are referring to trim and various chrome parts? It is in Illinois. So in your opinion it would be worth getting that thing out of the dirt for parting out ? It's been in this location - they say - for nearly 40 years. Do you think the rear end, tranny etc will be OK having been somewhat buried in the dirt all this time?

Yup, it is worth it to "part out".

There are a lot of parts yet to be harvested off this old car and they are getting harder to find.

You won't make a fortune, but someone out there needs the parts, and you will be doing the Buick community a great service, be contributing to several restorations.

She looks like someone has been picking at her already.

The cast iron parts (Tx and rear end) are not hurt by sitting in the mud. Even the steel parts such as brake backing plates, may be better than expected.

Mike in Colorado

If the intake and especially the exhaust manifold are intact and not cracked, those are definitely worth saving. I'm always interested in buying good Roadmaster exhaust manifold parts. The bumpers look pretty good on this car, too. The side stainless moldings, especially the ones on the back doors, are well worth saving and quite hard to find in undented condition. Someone on the buy/sell forum was looking for a '49 fog light dashboard switch just a few days ago. Looks like all of the switches and knobs for this dash are there. This car is very worthwhile to pull out of the woods and salvage parts off of. The hood and front fenders are 1949 Roadmaster-only items which do not interchange with any other '49 Buick series. They are Roadmaster-only, and will fit the sedanets, 4-dr. sedans, convertibles, and wagons provided they are also Roadmasters. SAVE THEM!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Where about's in Illinois? There may be some one from the forum/BCA not far away.

Is worth a lot more in parts than as a whole (as it now). Some of the parts will only be worth a few dollars and others a hundred $. The effective hourly rate you would earn removing and selling parts will not be much, but if you can get a tractor and drag it out or lift it out to a place where it can be dissembled Buick owner's will be grateful.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest rjhartman68

That is some good information Mike. I appreciate that. I think for the most part this vehicle has simply been in this spot - out of sight out of mind for a very long time. It's in a place where people could get to it with out anyone knowing or seeing them and so likely, over the years people have made some visits to it.

Guest rjhartman68

Thank you Leonard - I appreciate your detailed input!! I'm going to see about getting some detailed photos of the engine compartment today. It will be later this afternoon before I can get them posted. I'll also take some detailed photos of the dash area.

Guest rjhartman68

City called Geneseo Illinois which is about 20 minutes from the "Quad Cities Illinois/Iowa". If a guy wanted to simply sell it as is .. what are folks willing to give for it? We could definitely get it out from where it is - though I believe the ground is likely frozen at this point now.

I expect that the selling price to a Buick parts dealer would be close to scrap value plus the cost of retrieval.

My logic is that if you can get it removed and pocket at least the scrap value, you win!

This allows the parts dealer to make a few bucks while making Buick collectors happy.

Prices vary by region:

9 cents a pound for steel

50¢ per pound of aluminum

$3 per pound for copper.

Guest rjhartman68

Thanks Pete - appreciate your input! As I start to add everything up in my head ... it all starts to sound like a lot of work for potentially little gain. That being said, I get to now think about what happens next - or not ;-). I sure appreciate everyone's info and input on this subject. It's been very eye opening for me - I'm going to talk things over with my father-in-law and get his take on this and see what we do next. In the mean time, I am going to get a few more shots of the engine compartment and the dash. Hope to have those uploaded in a couple hours.

$250 to $350 is scrap value, but it looks like this car may be very difficult to move (no wheels or stuck wheels?), so you really need to deduct or discount the cost of moving it from the scrap value, if someone were to buy it as is, where is.
Recovery cost would be a lot
Hello all - I have 80+ photos of this buick. Close-ups of various parts etc. Because of the limit here I have posted them to my own site:

http://www.ronhartman.com/Buick/n-548M3/

A lot of rust! Even on the valve cover. Looks to have a front brake drum sunk in to the ground. Does it have a rear differential? And the water pump broken (freeze damage?) It may break up if pulled out with a tractor.

Guest rjhartman68
Recovery cost would be a lot

A lot of rust! Even on the valve cover. Looks to have a front brake drum sunk in to the ground. Does it have a rear differential? And the water pump broken (freeze damage?) It may break up if pulled out with a tractor.

Now we're seeing the reason for my original post ;-) I think the car is too far gone. But that is just a non-car guy talking. And yes, it will be a lot of work to get it out of it's confinement. Though - if we get some forks under the frame it may come out ok. I don't think I'd try to pull it with a tractor. Likely wouldn't happen at this point this year. Would have to wait until summer. Just don't know that it's worth putting any effort into at this point.

As for differential - i think it's there... but literally can't see - back end is buried further than the front. Would have to do a little digging to know for sure.

Edited by rjhartman68 (see edit history)

I suggest you just put the link to the photos on the Buy/Sell listing here on the forum and take offers for the parts shown. The spark plug cover, chrome pieces, etc. will most likely get the attention of those who need those parts. Then, come springtime, you can just pull the parts that received good offers and ship them after you get paid. By the time you sell all those bits and pieces, you may have a lot less to scrap.

My $0.02

I see a lot of nuts and bolts rusted solid. Do yourself a favor and take a cordless sawzall, a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting blade and at least 3-4 batteries with you. Besides using them to cut the nuts and bolts, use them also on the panels to cut around the portholes and Roadmaster and Dynaflow emblems. Some parts of this car may be too far gone for actual use but could be used as wall art or other artsy pieces.

I think you will find the rear end and probably the transmission full of condensate water and the gears literally corroded at the level of the old gear oil and water.

Personally, considering what I anticipate the small amount of money that might be made from cutting this car all to pieces, if this was my car... in my woods.... I would leave it where is, as is, for future generations to gaze upon and appreciate it's beautiful lines and of what cars use to be made out of.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey wait a minute folks.............

This car is in Geneseo, Ill. home of Springfield Armory and Rock Island Armory (for you full automatic folks).

Why, you could go look at the Buick and get a chance to chat with some really neat gun folks at the same time.

And it's only a few minutes up the road from the Quad cities, my old stomping grounds.

Mike in Colorado

Born in Moline, raised in Davenport.

I wonder if that turquoise 1960 Ford truck Grille is still hanging over the hotel bar in Moline. I was there in 1984 and had a twin to that grille at home in my 350 Buick powered '60 Ford pick 'em up. Four of us stayed there because it was the closest lodging to Kiwaneee where we inspected some boilers being built.

I'd go back for a visit. I remember a street across the bridge with a row of second rate used car lots. That Buick may have been in one.

At the time I also had a 1935 Nash and had contacted a member of the Nash Club of America to find good spots to visit. We had dinner at the Iowa Machine Shed and I knew about a guy with a collection of radiator badges. One of the group spotted a lighted sign saying "Dancing Girls" from the freeway loop. Forgot about the radiator badges. I'd go back.

Bernie

I've gotten stuff like that out of the woods. All it takes is the right equipment to do it efficiently and without damaging anything worth saving. If I had one that needed parts in my yard, I would go and get it. Dandy Dave!