Fitting '31 Dodge DG8 Engine in '31 CD8 Chassis

Gunsmoke

When I found my '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster recently, the complete drive train was missing. I have a '31 Dodge DG8 Engine and Bellhousing and 3 speed transmission I plan to utilize for now, while I seek out longer term a good CD8 drivetrain (wish me good luck with that). A main difference DG8 vs CD8 is the front engine mounting points. Those familiar know the DG8 mounts to frame differently, and that the mounting points on the front plate are 2-3" below the bottom line of generator. For the CD8, the mounting points are at about the center of the generator (perhaps a 5-6" difference). See pictures of both engines below. Having said all that, I am assuming that a mounting plate for a CD8 will bolt up to the DG8 block and give me the alignment I need? If the answer is yes, my second question is does anyone have a spare CD8 front mounting plate? If not, can anyone send me a picture of just what they look like and dimensions so if need be I can get the DG8 plate modified to suit. Thanks in advance to all who can help me figure this out. Also, I am assuming the rear mounting brackets, chassis to bellhousing are same in DG8 vs CD8? Anyone know for sure?post-66253-143142909207_thumb.jpg

post-66253-143142909166_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you could help out another Dodge Brother looking for info on the "shutter stat" on your DG8 ? He's wanting to see internals if possible and maybe looking for a parts source.

Did you ever get your answer on the bellhousing ? 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

OK, I'm available to answer some ?'s on these engines if I can have the specifics. A lot has happened since my original post as you may imagine, will not be using the DG8 engine so my original questions have become moot. Not sure what a "shutter stat" is? If he is referring to the shutter thermostat on the CD8 let me know. I don't know if there was such a device on the DG8 or DC8.

13 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

OK, I'm available to answer some ?'s on these engines if I can have the specifics. A lot has happened since my original post as you may imagine, will not be using the DG8 engine so my original questions have become moot. Not sure what a "shutter stat" is? If he is referring to the shutter thermostat on the CD8 let me know. I don't know if there was such a device on the DG8 or DC8.

I apologize for such a random question but I'm just trying to help so I'm kind of the go between. 

See his concern here: 

http://dodgebrothersclub.org/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=536

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The first illustration in this thread shows the radiator shutter device on top front of head for a CD8. It is part of the water outlet (normally a gooseneck) leading to the rad. This illustration below (taken from CD8 owner's manual) shows a cross section thru the device. There is a heavy spring in the upper part of the housing (and separated from water flow) which is connected to a vertical rod/pin, and as temperature rises, spring expands causing rod/pin to rise perhaps 1/8". This results in the L shaped lever pivoting and forcing a horizontal rod to move forward (perhaps 1/4") thru a hole in upper tank of radiator and opens the shutters (they are normally in closed position).  Difficult device to find, not sure if mine works or not but everything looks good. Since it is only really needed in cold climates, some people I understand dis-able the system at slats end (unseen) and fix slats in a full open position. The manual required frequent lubrication of all of the shutter components, (including top and bottom slat pivot points) a nearly impossible job, so I suspect many of these systems failed after a few years as slats seized up. Hope this helps your friend.

cross-section incl thermostat.jpeg

• Thanks 1