1950 Super Convertible

MrEarl

This from the 1950 Buick Yahoo group -

Dear members of the group:

We own an old Buick and although it has been stored in a garage since 1986, it must be moved out the the building it is stored in, so therefore must be sold.

It is a 1950 Super two door convertible.

Car is intact. original engine. Definitely a restorable car. It is obvious we never got around to restoring it.

mileage 84,000

has not been cranked since 1986.

Does anybody know what it is worth?

We are willing to entertain offers

The car is in Southeast Louisiana.

Pictures attached. my e-mail is stevenchabaud@bellsouth.net

IMG_9939.jpg

IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_9945.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Looks likeca ton of potential. Looks like one that would be fun to see how well you could get it cleaned up to just drive and enjoy prior to a restoration

Received this from the owner:

Dear Lamar,

I will try to get you more pictures.

The car is in a tight garage with a single 100 watt light bulb. I will need a get a flash camera and get in there on a sunny day. We can't roll the car out, so it is impossible for me to photograph the other side or the rear of the car at this point.

Now for a little history. The car was purchased in 1975 and my father used it as a weekend cruiser until approximately 1985. I guess you could say it was a #4 daily driver in those final years. I'm fairly confident the last time the car was driven was May of 1986. It has been towed to a couple of different garages since 1987, so a description of a "barn find" is a good one.

Presently, the interior is in pretty bad shape. The floors were always weak in the backseat, so I think at this point whoever restores this car would be looking at replacing the floors too.

Again Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

cleardot.gif

Steven Chabaud

New Orleans, LA

I use to say; a car is never too far away for have a look, but since live in Sweden it will be quite a trip to do. Any price for the car?

Michael, Sweden

Same here! Even though I've sold 5 cars this year, I started out by buying 6!

I've always loved 1950 Buicks.

Best. Grille. Ever.

I'm glad it is too far away to even go look!

Scott in Colorado

Just off the phone with the owners son, They would let the car go for $6500. It was parked in 1986 when the master cylinder went. The windows and top are not working, front floor pan on the drivers side needs repaired, not sure of passenger side. Car is in New Orleans and spent some of it's life in Oklahoma. I am not interested in it at this time but it seems like a decent buy for someone.

Paul

I guess I just live in the past. That price seems very high for a vehicle which hasn't run in 28 years, has bad floors and a bad interior. Too bad too cause when I mentioned it to Linda she asked if I wanted to go take a look.

So many cars...so little time...

John, The car has the dynaflow. His first response to me was ( according to his research) #1 car would be 25K, subtract for paint $3500, $3500 Chrome, $1,000 tires, $5,000 for interior and $5,000 for motor and tranny rebuild, for an asking price of $7,000. He sent me several pictures and the interior looks like it would clean up, body looks very solid and paint looks original. Has the old wide whites. If He said the top was replaced when the car was purchased in 1975, put down and never raised since as the hydro's are bad

...subtract for paint $3500, ...$5,000 for motor and tranny rebuild...

Sounds like 1975 pricing...and doing all that work would make it a #2; #1 is a frame-off total restoration. That said, we all know you don't get back what you put into these cars. Just sayin'...

This also doesn't include other miscellaneous mechanicals that will be necessary after a hibernation such as complete brakes, hoses, exhaust, radiator check/seal, etc.

If it was closer to me I'd give him $5k for it and get it going

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

Take 65 crisp $100 bills over to your local Buick dealer and fan them out in front of the salesman. See what he has for you.

I wouldn't plan to buy a collector car unless I planned to keep it for 20 years. Figure 300 bucks a year to buy it and 300 one hundred dollar jobs to do. Makes a great reason to get up in the morning for that over 70 crowd. And it keeps them off the computer.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Sounds like 1975 pricing...and doing all that work would make it a #2; #1 is a frame-off total restoration. That said, we all know you don't get back what you put into these cars. Just sayin'...

This also doesn't include other miscellaneous mechanicals that will be necessary after a hibernation such as complete brakes, hoses, exhaust, radiator check/seal, etc.

If it was closer to me I'd give him $5k for it and get it going

Definitely 1975 pricing.

He forgot to put a price on the body work (apparently it needs floors). Very unreasonable pricing on that type of work. If you paid the given prices to have those items done, you'd have a $10,000 car. It does have tons of potential, but the seller seems misguided. Doing the work yourself, you could end up with something. Certainly not a car "worth" restoring to a #1 car.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

BensSuper_9939_zps0cc6a35c.jpg

Ben, Ben, Ben you know you've got to have this baby. Going by what Paul says,

the interior looks like it would clean up, body looks very solid and paint looks original. Has the old wide whites. He said the top was replaced when the car was purchased in 1975, put down and never raised since as the hydro's are bad

I know YOU could get this car back on the Buick Highway and probably drive it to Springfield and by all means Allentown. Don't listen to what all these naysayers are saying, they must not have realized it is a CONVERTIBLE yet. I have never understood when someone really wants a car and has determined it is indeed what they want, are about to spend 40-50 grand on restoring a it, that they would let it get away from them for 1-2 thousand bucks. I would almost bet if you, the 1950 Buick SuperMan with a signature of his dad and him riding around in a '50 convertible were to get with the owner you could get this car for $5,000. Come on man, grab mama hook up to your trailer and at least ride down and take a look at it. Take your tools and see if the engine will turn over and if so pay the man and load it up. It's a freakin convertible man, a SUPER convertible!!!!!!!! Come on dude, while you still got a few gray hairs to blow in the wind, buy yourself a 1950 Buick convertible!!!!!

_57_zpseb420e2a.jpg

I don't think there are so much naysayers here, but just pointing out that the logic is flawed on the cost. Let us not fool ourselves into thinking a complete restoration is cheap. I totally think it is a great car, and would love to have it myself. I'd replace the floor pans, get it in driving condition, and if the body and interior cleans up decent, probably drive it the way it is; at least for awhile if not longer. If it's in good enough condition to do that, then it may be a great opportunity!

I will never spend $40-50k restoring any car probably. Even a couple thousand though can be the difference between buying a car when the potential buyer is having a tough time justifying another car!

I think perhaps it is a blessing that this car is not within a couple hours from me, or I might have to play a shell game with some finances to drive out there with 50 hundred dollar bills.

Perhaps I used the naysayer term a bit loosely..... I think you are spot on as to the best direction this car could go in lancemb. I think the seller will have a hard time finding a buyer for a Super convertible who would turn around and put another $60K, plus a year or two of blood sweat and tears on the car to restore it and end up with a $50K trailer queen. But as you say, to spend perhaps $12,000 on a nice fun driver to ENJOY, that would be the way to go and that is what I was encouraging Ben to do. And I am sure my cost figures aren't dead on, but close enough to try and make my point. I will say this, if it was a 1954 Buick Super convertible at the asking price of anywhere around $6K, it would not have gotten posted here until I had returned from Louisiana either with the car or empty handed and to advise others of what I had seen. And that from someone who is in '54 Buicks Anonymous and sworn off buying anymore. ;)

now THAT:

BensSuper_9939_zps0cc6a35c.jpg

is funny!!!

Ben, don't listen to these guys. Take 30 crisp $100 bills but start offering no more than 20 of them. If the seller is going to work with 1975 repair prices you might as well work with 1975 purchase prices. Point out that the chrome work today is +10K, and he forgot about the 2K wiring harness and 2K hydraulic issues. Then use the rest of the 10 $100's to have the floors pulled from your 50 ( if it has not been sold) and welded into this youngster. A few more parts and the 4 dr 50 can be scrapped for enough dough to fill the gas tank on the convertible.

As others have said, I am sad, yet glad , it is so far away from me.

ME? Are you guys talking about ME??

You are so nice to think of me! BUT this is cruel. I would have to sell the Special. I have had to eat lots of comfort food to keep from stressing and having a HEART ATTACK!! I have gained five pounds. Can't keep the keyboard dry. Life is a mess!

I agree with what has been said many times, the initial price is minor. $4000.00 or $8000.00, there bis little difference in the price when finished. The difference is likely 10% or less in the finished car.

I would like to see more pics, but do not have a Yahoo account.

O well, where did I put those brownies? What do you mean, they are all gone?

Ben

Guest Peter Bird

Man, what I would do to own this car! Since my other disaster with the 55 century I have shied away from cars, but I love the 50 Buick! Wish I could get her on a boat heading to Oz....