39 Zephyr Progress

Ken/Alabama

Made some progress on my 39 Zephyr over the Holidays. Rebuilt the rear axle with Columbia ,installed new spring bushings front and rear.Got the front axle installed and the transmission with clutch pedal. Had a can of original Ford spring lubricant so I figuired this would be a good time to open it up and use some of it.

post-31739-143142908517_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143142908522_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143142908525_thumb.jpg

post-31739-14314290853_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143142908534_thumb.jpg

post-31739-143142908537_thumb.jpg

post-31739-14314290854_thumb.jpg

post-88682-14314290927_thumb.jpgNice looking work. A couple of questions if you don't mind. Were you able to replace the spring shackles without pulling of axle off the wish bones? If so, how the heck did you do it?

I noticed the your perch bolts are turned 180 degrees from how I found mine. I wonder why?

Oh, and thanks for clearing up the brake drum issue.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

Once you get the spring off you can drive the stud out. If it hits the axle before it comes out just cut it off and drive the rest of it out. Those bushings have a inner stud with an outer shell. The stud is embedded in there in rubber or some other type material. So if you apply some heat with the torch the center will drive out a little easier. Once it's out that leaves the outer shell still in there. Stick a hacksaw blade through the hole and cut through the outer shell in two or three places the you can peel it out. Once it's all out clean and polish the hole eliminating any burrs , I use Emery cloth and a small flap wheel on my die grinder. I did not remove the perch bolts. Didn't really see a need to and it's nearly impossible to get them out without destroying them. Then where was I gonna find new ones. One other thing, I did not remove the long stud on the pass side that the sway bar fits on. Mine was still tight and I know of no replacements for that bushing so I reused it.

Edited by flatcat (see edit history)