1949 Super engine removal

cooterbfd

Ok guys, my son and his buddies are going to remove the engine from his 1949 Super (they are all 16-19 yrs old). Where is the best spot to attach a chain to hoist the engine and Dynaflow out in one shot??? Is it the studs sticking out from the valve cover??? Any and all advice welcome!!! Thanks, John https://www.facebook.com/groups/7645200961/10153031478090962/?ref=notif&notif_t=like

John, if the front clip [fenders, rad. etc ] are still in place, it is very near impossible to pull engine/tranny as a unit. Space wise. If was me, and I have done it a few times in the last 60 years, I pull engine without tranny. Remove the head and hook the chain to the first head bolt hole on one side of the block at front and another on the opposite side at back. Get bolts that will screw into the block all the way. Using the regular head bolts could result in breaking one due to length.

Good luck and let us know progress.

Ben

I believe Buick says you can use the bolts that attach the rocker arm stanchions. I have always substituted a piece of threaded rod longer than the bolt so i can attach the chain. It is a heavy SOB. cheapo A Harbor Freight engine balancer sure helps to balance front to back when you are pulling the assumbly

The front clip has been removed, as we figured this would be a good time to repair the fenders. So, that should be in our favor. Removing one at a time (engine, then tranny,) is not out of the question, if that makes it easier. Either way, i guess the valve cover does come off. I suppose I should have asked if the valve cover studs were strong enough, but I think I already know the answer to that. Will post updates. Hopefully, we can get to it this weekend!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck! If the vehicle has a dynaflow , as opposed to a standard shift, make sure you remove the bolts between the torque converter and flywheel before pulling the engine. Otherwise when it's on the ground there will be no way to get them. And it's just safer to have it in the frame when under there to rotate the engine and remove those bolts, than to have it hanging off the hoist.