How to remove front brake drums '39 Zephyr

JohnMackay

You should not need a puller for the front drums. Make sure that the brake shoe adjustment is backed off, the nut removes as shown in your photo and pull the drum off. The outer bearing is behind the washer shown in your photo and it will slide out as the drum is pulled off. Be careful to not let the bearing drop on the floor. The inner bearing and the grease seal will come off with the drum. The grease seal will have to be removed to clean and pack the inner bearing.

You should not need a puller for the front drums. Make sure that the brake shoe adjustment is backed off, the nut removes as shown in your photo and pull the drum off. The outer bearing is behind the washer shown in your photo and it will slide out as the drum is pulled off. Be careful to not let the bearing drop on the floor. The inner bearing and the grease seal will come off with the drum. The grease seal will have to be removed to clean and pack the inner bearing.

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a try.

John

Mine is a 1938 but I understand that 38 & 39 were almost identical as far as the running gear goes. Here is a pic of my front brake drum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]288095[/ATTACH]

One of them is wrong, is it mine or his?

Getting interesting...here's the inside of my front drum along with numbers...PFC 27670 21939...

post-41638-14314290586_thumb.jpg

post-41638-143142905832_thumb.jpg

Mine is a 1938 but I understand that 38 & 39 were almost identical as far as the running gear goes. Here is a pic of my front brake drum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]288095[/ATTACH]

One of them is wrong, is it mine or his?

38s used the wide bolt pattern but changed to the smaller 5 1/2 inch pattern before the end of the 38 production . All 39s used the 5 1/2 lug pattern . I'm talking about Zephyrs, Ford didn't change till 40. So to answer your question about which one is wrong, neither one is wrong.

Edited by flatcat (see edit history)