Tools

carrfixr

Of course, Mr. Burgess is right.

I'd say NOT necessary, but if they are in excellent working/looking condition, it would be nice. Condition would be the issue.

And of course, Mr. Cole is also correct. Merry Christmas Phil. :)

Sorry if I seemed a little abrupt the other day. Phil using the word nice above, in effect, means that we are the education department of the antique car world. AACA supports the accurate representation of automotive history. To have accurate, clean, like new tools displayed beside our vehicles furthers our prime mission.

Enjoy your day off guys!

Wayne

Okay, naïve me.... Mitch H, I presumed by "display with" you meant on/in the car as they came with it, like on a VW Beetle. In other words, a tool roll like Eric Wahlberg describes above. That's what I meant by "nice"....

BTW, Happy New Year, Wayne! I find you to be an excellent advocate for AACA education, like the time you spent nearly an hour talking to me about national tours! :)

[quote name= Wayne! I find you to be an excellent advocate for AACA education, like the time you spent nearly an hour talking to me about national tours! :)

I am sorry to do a temporary hijack of this thread, but this comment about Wayne must be emphasized. He is one of the first people I met whan I joined up and finally went to my first AACA National event a few years back. He went out of his way to make me feel welcome, comfortable and part of the event. He even invited me to sit at his table at the banquet. Don Barlup was also at that table and I felt truely honored to be in the company of high level "brass" . Wayne has truely been one of the big reasons I have continued in the organization and want to contribute even more wherever I can.

Guest Mark McAlpine

For clarification, if tools are displayed in the car (i.e., in the trunk), I believe they are subject to judging (just as would be attached license plate frames, etc.). While they're a nice touch, you don't get "bonus points" for accessories--they can only hurt you (if there is a problem with their authenticity or condition). If they're not required, my recommendation would be to remove them during judging.

And I concur with the comments about Wayne Burgess and Don Barlup (and many of our club's national officers, chairmen and members)--very knowledgeable, very friendly, and great representatives and advocates for our club and hobby.

For clarification, if tools are displayed in the car (i.e., in the trunk), I believe they are subject to judging (just as would be attached license plate frames, etc.). While they're a nice touch, you don't get "bonus points" for accessories--they can only hurt you (if there is a problem with their authenticity or condition). If they're not required, my recommendation would be to remove them during judging.

Hi Mark

Your comments are spot on. I have a friend who added a "made-up" tool kit to his pristine restoration at the last minute, did not take time to detail said tools and lost enough points to drop his car to second place in a very tough competition.

He then asked me to make him a correct tool roll (we have a pattern taken from a VERY ratty 1936 Chrysler Airflow original) and we have researched the correct contents of said tool roll to be sure that he doesn't lose points again due to lack of authenticity. SO if you are going to have tools on display, be sure the tool kit is authentic and in fine condition; otherwise keep it out of sight until the judging is over.