Building 1940 Ford woodie from scratch

Guest brigalli

Guest brigalli

I have a chassis and front section of a 1940 Ford deluxe woodie which I would like to build a rebuild woodie wagon body around. Does anyone know of any drawing of original bodies? is there someplace which has dimensions of original wood panels Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

Edited by brigalli
more concise (see edit history)

Hello Brigalli, Are you going to do the woodwork yourself? I am restoring a 1940 Lasalle woodie. I was able to make an accurate reproduction of the original body using the pile of rotten splinters that came with the car as a guide. There exists one other 1940 Lasalle woodie which I was able to refer to. I also came up with some pictures of mine before mother nature destroyed it.

I don't know if there are plans out there to build a 1940 Ford woodie. What I'm getting at is you may not need it. You may be able to get your hands on some old wood from a 1940 Ford restoration that some one replaced with new wood. Wood not good enough to put on a restored car would still be good enough for you to copy for your car. You only need half of all the parts for copying because of symmetry. I have also seen useable old wood advertised in the Woodie Times.

Guest brigalli

That would be nice to borrow or purchase the old rotten parts to use for patters. I'm sure they would be vary rare. Maybe someone has pictures of a restoration I could scale off of.

Check out a company called Treehouse Woods. They sell all the reproduction interior metal parts for '40 Ford "Woodies". It's the small interior parts and door and window mechanisms that are going to be hard to find. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

• 3 months later...