Preserving Wool Upholstery

lwebb

ScotchGard will give some limited protection from liquid spills, but won't really "protect" the upholstery. Are you sure that's original seat fabric? It looks more like someone has sewn a cover using striped material, and the original fabric might be under that.

I'm no expert on Plymouths, just going by what the pictures look like. There's possibly been a little work done, at least, that armrest looks a little red to match the other maroon fabric, and may be newer. Driver's armrest and driver seat are the first to go!

Looks like a great car, though, congrats on a nice purchase!

Nope all original top to bottom front to back. Some touch up on the exterior paint but interior still in tact. Front floor covering has had new rubber put on top and worn pretty badly underneath but rear floor in perfect shape. Has less than 30,000 miles. Has original owners manual and original trunk pad. Been in three collections before I got t. Came with all the paperwork and documentation going years back. I even have a pict of the original owner. Man in chair on left bought the car new, His son in uniform sold it to the first collector in late 50s.

post-92642-143142899058_thumb.jpg

Dirt is the biggest enemy. Clean it regularly and keep a search going for a few yards of the original material. Wear it out and repair it. In fact, wear out the seats, tires, brakes, suspension, and engine. Fix it as you go along.

The same things that need replacement after years of sitting idle are the same things that wear out in use. Create lots of great memories. They are much dearer than the memories of the previous owners.

Bernie

Be careful with wool. Scotch guard says right on the can not to use it on wool. Wool water spots when you try to clean it as well. The dirt/grease comes off ok, but you are left with a large water spot type ring making you wish you left it alone. Ask me how I know this.:confused: Maybe some seat covers for your seat covers?..............

In this instance I'll have to agree with Bernie - use it and enjoy it for as long as you can. If you are excessively concerned with maintaining the relatively pristine appearance, then use a blanket over the seat while driving, and take it off when you get to the "Cruise Night" or your club outing.

I had a neighbor who put those sticky sweaty clear plastic solid covers over a nice comfortable cloth brocade, and put hard rubber floor mats over the really nice carpeting of his Olds 98. Although he and his wife both smoked cigarettes, they both used a bean-bag accessory ash tray rather than the one built into the Olds so everything would be "clean" for the next owner. The car was probably 11 - 12 years old when they traded or sold it, and I doubt the price they got for the Olds was that much better than if they had enjoyed the cloth seats and carpeting, and the odor of cigarette smoke was in the car even if the ash tray appeared spotless.

Maybe it is just because of my rapidly advancing age, but I believe in enjoying life to my fullest extent possible. Many years ago I changed careers so that I could take time to old-car-tour with my family instead of being "married" to a computer center. I once heard something about not wanting to arrive at the "Pearly Gates" in a perfectly preserved, relatively unused body, but rather to skid in sideways, completely used-up and worn-out, rumpled, dust and grit flying, shouting "Holy #@&%, What a Ride"

Gorgeous original interior! I would simply throw a blanket on it while driving it and remove it if you are going to show it. Once the material is worn, you will never be able to match any replaced material. Enjoy it with or without the blanket and keep dirty people out.

Well I drive it every day. I bought it because it was in such amazing shape. I had one in better shape than this one in college, same upholstery, same color everything. Only had 18,000 miles. Plymouths were just not popular as old cars went so it was within my price range $750!! Over the next five years in college, took longer than expected, I absolutely destroyed it. It breaks my heart to think about it. What a complete idiot I was. The memory has plagued me ever since. Now that I'm well on the other end I decided I could afford to go back and do it right. I looked for over three years before I found it so I'm doing everything to try to keep it as new as possible. I still want to drive it and can't get in it without smiling. I only wish I had Frank's resources! My wife is making seat covers for it, Hopefully that will work.