Brake issue thoughts?

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I am watching a brake issue on the new coupe, brakes work great in general driving, but, sometimes if I hit the brake pedal quickly and hard such as a more dire type stop, I am met with a hard pedal for a couple seconds then it softens and starts the stop. Thoughts? Thanks

Bad accumulator.........

The accumulator stores hydraulic pressure......so that the pump does not run continuously.

You have enough pressure stored for "normal" stops and the pump can keep up, however when you have a high demand stop (panic) you run out of pressure and get a hard pedal.

There is a very small possibility that the problem might be a defective pressure switch.

Go to Ronnie's site www.reattaowner.com or www.reatta.com and you will find lots of information and test to run with will isolate the problem.

I like the fluid level drop in the reservoir test, and the number of pedal pumps before the pump turns on.

If you do both the above test, it will confirm the accumulator is the problem.... the accumulator is $100+ and some say harder to find but it is simple to change, like changing an oil filter.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest my3buicks

I bought three used ones from a fellow for $50 bucks, figuring I would get one good one - it ends up all three are good : )

While searching I found an NOS one also, I bought it in case the convertible ever needs one

Ok. Just curious. I bought 2 NOS units just before it became apparent that the stock of OEM parts was about depleted. Haven't used either yet but the scrub 88 did show an ABS light briefly twice the other day in 10 degree weather. Has not recurred yet, but am watching closely.

If I need to change an accumulator, I may consider picking up a Hydac unit as an additional backup as it appears purpose made for Teves Mk II systems. Curious to see if it really meets the spec. Perhaps Kingsley will report on it since he has ordered one.

What I'd really like to know is where Hydac sourced theirs. At the price currently being asked, it is less than OEM units cost even before the prices spiked some months ago. Quite curious indeed.

KDirk

Looks like Hydac is an Australian manufacturer. See the link I posted in the accumulator thread.

I was told they were shipped from Germany. The following, from last page of the pdf you provided, seems to confirm.

HYDAC Technology GmbH

Industriegebiet

66280 Sulzbach/Saar, Germany

Tel.: +49 (0) 68 97 / 509 - 01

Fax: +49 (0) 68 97 / 509 - 464

Internet: www.hydac.com

E-Mail: speichertechnik@hydac.com

Good to see we have several people doing some research. Kirk in post #6, the ABS yellow light seldom has anything to do with pressure when displayed by itself. If you get both the yellow and red lights then pressure might be the issue. In your case, cold weather, more likely an intermittent connection.