Babbitt work in the Detroit area

Larry Schramm

Those cracker barrel mechanics I listen to when I was a kid would tell you how the bearing failed and they cut the end off their belt, dipped it in lard to prelube it and made the repair on the spot. They were real and telling those stories right up into the '70's, both their 70's and the 1970's.

One thought for bearing 1, 2, 3, and all the other cars approaching 100 years old; settling in idle storage is rarely a planned event. And the storage preparation doesn't get a fresh oil change, usually just the opposite. The acids (sulfuric) in the oil lies on the bearing surfaces and slowly etches the babbitt, making a thin film of oxide. When the car gets revived .002 to ,003 thousandths will wipe off in a short time. That could put you at .0055 or .006 on the maiden voyage, not enough to rattle, but enough to work like a stone in your shoe. So even if that long term storage car gets the pan dropped and cleaned, a visual check might not be enough. One may find that "sounding out" the bearing after the first start up is a good idea.

Bernie

Actually, I did it a few times myself to retrieve a dead vintage machine. Had to get them running and loaded and moved from wherever it was to home base. It works OK on early slow turning engines. I'm not sure I would actually load the engine to full capacity with a chunk of leather though. One old friend had a bearing go out on a 1930's Buick back in the days of the depression. Said he drove it that way for two years before finally getting something else to drive. The tales of old are are true. Dandy Dave!

Yep, dad had a coffee can full of oil for leather to soak in.

After the war people were looking to buy a car, some were hard to get, so at one tmi he had 116 new engines lined up in the shop of his dealership. Often someone came in with a Rod knock, and NO money, so in the leather went.

Dale in Indy