Starter 1924 Dodge Help Needed

Guest 49 plymouth

Guest 49 plymouth

Can anybody help out with a starter for my 1924 Dodge? I have tried everthing with little luck. Mine just has no power. it will spin but not turn the Engine over with plugs in. Tried new wires, brushes, rebuilt switch, etc. Also, sombody has been inside mine so it hardly looks good for rebuilding. they even broke a chunk out of the end plate and attempted to weld it up. I do not have loads of cash, but would like to see if I can get my project running. I can not hand crank because the same moron must of broke the pin inside the engine because I can't get the handle to engage. The engine was stuck, but after soaking in oil for a week and gentle working from the clutch housing, she now spins freely, and I can hear her inducting and compressing. Thanks Shaun It a 12 volt

The only thing I can think of trying to rule out a poor connection somewhere is to get a set of heavy duty jumper cables and hook them up directly to the starter (make sure you know the polarity of your vehicle). If it then cranks at least you will know it's not the starter. The other option, just to try and start it, is a push start (hold clutch in while others push the car, then when you're moving at 5 - 10 mph dump the clutch).

Guest 49 plymouth
The only thing I can think of trying to rule out a poor connection somewhere is to get a set of heavy duty jumper cables and hook them up directly to the starter (make sure you know the polarity of your vehicle). If it then cranks at least you will know it's not the starter. The other option, just to try and start it, is a push start (hold clutch in while others push the car, then when you're moving at 5 - 10 mph dump the clutch).

Yes, I tried the jumper cables - same result. Sadly, I cant tow. need to get tires. Just want to see if the engine if going to run before I start on buying tires ect ect. I might pull the front of engine off, and see if I can fix the part that the starting handle engages in, but it would be so much easier to try her if I could spin the engine by the motor. I want to restore the car but hate to start throwing $$$$$$ and time if the engine optimization is terminal.

Where and what kind of brushes did you get?

If you made the same mistake I did you'll be a VERY happy man when you get the correct brushes.

You really NEED only the two fixed brushes.......the moveable brush is for generator charging output so doesn't have to have handle hundreds of amps.

Give that a read >>> http://forums.aaca.org/f143/does-anyone-have-servicable-north-east-372207.html

Guest 49 plymouth
Where and what kind of brushes did you get?

If you made the same mistake I did you'll be a VERY happy man when you get the correct brushes.

You really NEED only the two fixed brushes.......the moveable brush is for generator charging output so doesn't have to have handle hundreds of amps.

Give that a read >>> http://forums.aaca.org/f143/does-anyone-have-servicable-north-east-372207.html

Hi the correct ones. I remembered reading a post about using plain carbon brushes, the ones I have are hard with almost a bronze finish. Cost me 80$. Two fat one thin, the thin one I took to be the the adjustable one for charging. When I run the starter the one bush gets hot, I take that to mean the other circuit is not working and loading the hot one. Inside the motor is clean.but the fabric around the outer coils ( Field Magnets? ) is very dry. The wire to the fuse inside had broke off I repaired that but no better.

Guest 49 plymouth
If only one brush gets hot that suggests to me a poor connection somewhere as the brushes work together.

Juice is trying to get through but a roadblock is making it heat.

I wish I knew as I said I cleaned up everthing new leads ect, even with leads ahd hd

battery straight to starter. It just lacks grunt. One odd thing adjusting the movable brush seemed to make a difference, to it turning at all, I thought this was just for charging. Shorting inside somplace ??

Guest 49 plymouth
Even if it isn't specified the GA has the fuse on the body of the generator at the front versus at the rear on a G.

There are two on Ebay both have fuse on rear. The guy is going to see how much to ship after Christmas. Thank you all for your help and Happy Christmas

Guest Power Wagon Guy

"49 Plymouth"

I'm out in Central California and have TWO North East Electric Model G - 12 Volt Starter / Generators that I'd like to sell.

If you're interested let me know: Donn @ dcmmld@wildblue.net or (209) 533-3663.

Can send pictures if you send an e-mail with your contact information

Guest 49 plymouth
"49 Plymouth"

I'm out in Central California and have TWO North East Electric Model G - 12 Volt Starter / Generators that I'd like to sell.

If you're interested let me know: Donn @ dcmmld@wildblue.net or (209) 533-3663.

Can send pictures if you send an e-mail with your contact information

Hi thank you for the reply I might have found one, I will call you if it falls through. I notr where you live a truly outstanding part of the world. I lived in Atascadero for a short time.do you know it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 49 plymouth

Thanks I got one and my car is running, looking for transmission lock, and some old tires that will hold air to help roll the car around whille i work on it.

Thanks I got one and my car is running, looking for transmission lock, and some old tires that will hold air to help roll the car around whille i work on it.

Some 3/4" plywood, a sabre saw, a drill, 4 Beers, and a Saturday afternoon, and you will have 4 wheels to move your car around. Just my 2 cents...........

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 49 plymouth

Started taking the car apart today and found second battery tray. I wonder if it was fitted with second battery to helppost-62602-143142972402_thumb.jpg old slow starter its been in place some time

Guest 49 plymouth

I dont know it was as clean as could be inside. I got one from a very helpfull guy that posted here he had one and was lucky it worked fine, engine started right up.

I have heard stories during the war years and rationing that it was hard to get a 12 volt battery as most cars were 6 volt. Maybe they ran 2 6 volt batteries to make 12 volt. 2 "fair" condition batteries also works better than a single good battery many times.

Dave

Guest 49 plymouth
I have heard stories during the war years and rationing that it was hard to get a 12 volt battery as most cars were 6 volt. Maybe they ran 2 6 volt batteries to make 12 volt. 2 "fair" condition batteries also works better than a single good battery many times.

Dave

Yes thats a good thought and it had been done sometime ago. Intresting idea.

If it was only cars we probably couldn't get them so easily but a lot of tractors and old construction equipment still pair 6 volt batteries for cranking power.

Then again us Americans are car crazy so there is still quite a demand.

I don't remember when the AU dollar went to hell but at the current exchange rate a domestic 6 volt battery costing $90 US would cost about $115 AU plus the cost of importing.

$160 seems pretty wicked....... :mad:

Guest 49 plymouth
If it was only cars we probably couldn't get them so easily but a lot of tractors and old construction equipment still pair 6 volt batteries for cranking power.

Then again us Americans are car crazy so there is still quite a demand.

I don't remember when the AU dollar went to hell but at the current exchange rate a domestic 6 volt battery costing $90 US would cost about $115 AU plus the cost of importing.

$160 seems pretty wicked....... :mad:

I have a 21 foot 1953 boat that I brought over from home (uk), It has twin Ford side valve inboard engines 12hp each they are six volt. Very few of these engines came to the Usa but many went to Australia they came in 8 hp of 12hp. The few that did come here were used in snowmobiles. I have stuggled to keep the 6v starters going for years so might switch to 12v and better charging. The one engen is reconditiond from the 30s and unless both are running you cant turn the boat. So for my peace of mind 12v might be the way to go.

Guest 49 plymouth

Ha yes I know what you thinking its strange they should be giving any trouble stuck in a damp boat 60 years I guess even Lucas has its limits. Ha Gauges all work :)