Need to source: spring center bolt, nut (lubricator), e

Beltfed

I have taken my front spring apart for maintenance. The PO did not assemble it correctly, in other words, I've got a bolt with nut instead of the proper parts that belong in that area. I need to source them. Anyone have a source like Earl Brown?

Another question...has anyone put Teflon or like product between the springs instead of greasing them?

Thanks

Guest 65Starfire

I was in the process of doing mine and the old guy doing mine said not to line the springs with tape as they get too thick and then the spring shackles don't fit.

65Starfire,

There is a solution to the problem of gaining height by adding the "sliders" between the leafs. Ford big truck shackles. They are around 1/4" longer than the stock Lincons. I brought a set from wagersfordparts@q.com. I believe I paid $60.00 for set of four. The only problem was there was not one with the round 1/2" hole for the rear passenger side. I solved this by sawing a 5/8" square from a scape old one, pressed it into the 5/8" hole using a vice, then welded the square in. I'll post pics of the work.

Roy Nacewicz sells the center bolt for Fords. I think that the Zephyr bolt is the same with a square head that fits in the recess and a fine thread. The Ford bolt is a 5/16" - 24 x 51/2" for the front spring and 3/8"- 24 x 7" for the rear spring. He also sells the special nut with the zerk fitting to grease the springs. I would only add it for show as the grease does not travel very far from the bolt.

IMHO the Teflon sliders do nothing except drain your pocket book. Make sure that your springs are clean and the leaves have not worn a recess at where the ends of the leave above rub. Then make sure that they have the correct arch and you will have a nice ride without squeaks,

19tom40,

Thanks for the information. I searched the online catalog and found what I needed.

As to the other stuff. I don't know. For one thing, when I pulled the leafs apart it was apparent that grease wasn't necessarily going where it is suppose to. So I agree with you on that. My leafs already have recesses cut into them so binding of the spring pack may be a problem? If there is a solution to removing the recesses short of replacement I'm unaware of it. Input anyone? That is why the slider idea is in the picture. I'm going to wait till the owner of the Ford restorer shop is back on his feet after knee replacement and bounce this off him.