Color Combinations 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadsters

Gunsmoke

I am looking for a list of color combinations that may have been used on 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadsters (or '31 Chrysler CD8's). I found a "barnfind" Roadster recently (ser#9820125) which I plan to restore, and initial stripping back seems to suggest car may have been black. I checked this site's Dupont/Duco color library and it does not list Black as a '31 Chrysler Color option, but lists 90 different colors for '31 Chryslers, including 24 shades of Gray, 21 shades of green, 15 shades of Blue, 13 shades of Brown, 9 shades of Beige/Tan, 4 of Maroon and 2 Yellow and 2 Drab. It does not indicate which were body, trim/stripe or fender colors etc. Anyone have a combination list? Also, although my car was assembled in Canada, body #CD1475R, I am advised bodies were pre-painted in USA before sending to Windsor, Canada for assembly. Anyone know if this is correct?post-66253-143142896982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
picture added (see edit history)

Thanks for this great reference. Yes they list the '31 Chrysler 8 Roadster, only available in 5 color combinations, one of which was BLACK. In fact, the Roadster was the only '31 Chrysler CD8 model available in BLACK. Black was not a color option for '31 CD8 Sedans, Coupes or Convertibles.

Thanks for this great reference. Yes they list the '31 Chrysler 8 Roadster, only available in 5 color combinations, one of which was BLACK. In fact, the Roadster was the only '31 Chrysler CD8 model available in BLACK. Black was not a color option for '31 CD8 Sedans, Coupes or Convertibles.

Does anyone have a salesman book for a 1931 Chrysler? The 1930 book shows that special colors could be ordered for the bodies and fenders ( and other parts ) for an extra charge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martylum

Sales of upper priced cars really slowed in 1931 so I'm

sure you could have had practically any color combination for an extra fee. Even my medium priced 30 Desoto roadster option list included included custom colors for an extra fee.

Martin Lum

1930 Desoto CK roadster

You are probably right. My Dad knew this "big black Chrysler roadster" back in the 50's, and although it had by that time been modified heavily and over-painted black, I was never sure that was original color. When I stripped the over-coats off hood, original color is black, and I now see Black with Cat's Eye green fenders and trim and Packard Ivory striping was one of 5 options. Since this car was assembled in Windsor, but bodies were pre-painted in USA (Detroit?), ordering a custom paint color would likely have meant a delay. Having said that, since '31 Roadster sales were so few in Canada, likely everyone of those few sold (a number I cannot get, but perhaps 1/2 dozen or so) was ordered to suit the clients preference, since it is unlikely any were displayed in dealership windows down East here. I'm contemplating painting car all black, in memory of my Dad's fondness for this specific car, and sort of like Jay Leno's marvellous "Walker" Duesenberg.