1936 Buick front bumper

Tom_S

Here is a question I have been meaning to ask for some time. The picture of my mother sitting on the Buick bumper taken in 1937 does not show the accessory bumper guard (with cross rods). However the one I took in 2013 shows it. The guards has been on the car ever since I can remember 60+ years ago. It has painted stripes on it the same color as the ones on the car. The cross bars have notches in them that fit in the uprights making it adjustable according to the width needed between uprights.

So, my question is was this an accessory that Buick sold and then stripe painted to match the car?

Thanks,

Tom

post-86558-143142896754_thumb.jpg

By coincidence I was researching this car - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=766614 - and in looking for similar cars on the net it seems that quite a few Senior Packards from around 1939-41 have a similar looking bumper guard. Hopefully a Packard expert will come in on this one but I suspect that maybe this was a Packard accessory and an aftermarket maker has made a variation of them available.

By the way I am still not positive on my identification of that Packard. I wonder if it has an earlier body on a later chassis.

Thanks for the replys. That photo of the guard on the Packard sure looks like mine even with the same contour of the uprights. Each of the cross arms have notches that lock on the uprights allowing different widths with the Packard shown at its widest. My mother had a brother slightly older than her and perhaps he purchased it to dress up the Buick. I should add that it was many years before the difference in the photo of my mother and the Buick present condition ever sank in that the guard was not originally there.

Merry Christmas to all!

Tom