65 Bucket Seat Bumpers and Limiting Strap

kdml

The seat bumpers on my 65 were all broken. Does the seat require 2 or 4. Mine had 2 plastic bumpers on the top half of the seat and flat washers on the bottom half (see pic). Is this correct or should I have 4 plastic bumpers (top and bottom). Also, anyone have a source for a new limiting strap? I only have one.

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143142895576_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ed

The body manual calls the limiting strap a "seat back stop cable". Not sure what function it played

Doug

My 55,000 mile survivor had one cable on the passenger seat outboard hinge when I got it and none on the driver's seat.

To me the cable was hideous looking so I removed mine. I suspect the previous owner may have removed the one on the driver's seat

if it had one on that side. The one on the passenger seat on my car was starting to come apart(the plastic coating on the outside of the cable was peeling off and cracked. The purpose of the cables was to keep the seat from tilting forward enough that the metal trim on the side

of the seat back could hit the console and gouge the paint. On my car if you tilt the driver's seat too far forward, the metal trim on the side

of the seat back digs into the paint on the console. For some reason, on my car, the passenger seat when tilted forward all the way only

contacts the console with the upholstery, not the metal side trim, so the cable wasn't needed on that side. For that reason I removed it. What

I've been doing is whenever I need to go into the back seat area for cleaning, I go in from the passenger side so I don't have to worry about

scratching the console.

The seat bumpers on my 65 were all broken. Does the seat require 2 or 4. Mine had 2 plastic bumpers on the top half of the seat and flat washers on the bottom half (see pic). Is this correct or should I have 4 plastic bumpers (top and bottom). Also, anyone have a source for a new limiting strap? I only have one.

Thanks

Doug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287352[/ATTACH]

Doug, I did some looking online and a company called Lexco Cable can make you some cables pretty much identical to the

originals for your seats.....vinyl coated cables with eyelets made to the proper length. Check out their website. One thing that makes the original cables ugly is that the plastic sheath on them is white. Lexco can make you some with a black sheath which is much less noticeable when you look at the seat. I see from your picture that the white plastic sheath is gone off of your cable in the picture. The cable

on my car was well on it's way to looking like yours at only 55,000 miles.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Pat, did you have the strap on both seats or just the passenger seat?

Just did the seats in my son's 63. One strap on the Passenger seat.

Kaber

It was just the passenger seat.

I think the reasoning behind putting the strap just on the passenger side was that there would always be a driver on that side who could hold the seat from going too far forward when someone in the back was getting out, while they couldn't control what someone was doing on the other side of the car. The funny thing is I don't ever recall

there being a strap on my Dad's 65 Riviera passenger seat but I assume it must have been there and I just never noticed it. One reason may have been that the color of the cable wasn't too far off from the saddle color of the seat making it less noticeable than it was on the dark green interior of my car.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)