Why 1897 - 1966 Timeframe

D Yaros

Just noticed this section covers Olds from 1897 to 1966. Why that timeframe, I wonder?

I ask, tongue in cheek, should there be another section covering 1967 to 1989, and increasing annually by one year?

I've wondered that same thing. There certainly isn't any natural model break for Olds after the 1966 model year. This isn't like a 64-72 Cutlass or a 65-70 B/C-body thing. Why does the first year Toro get included but not the nearly identical second year Toro?

It might make sense to have a 1948 cutoff, for example, but even then, there was come commonality between 1948 and 1949 models.

The reason for the break is because that was the cut-off for the NAOC at the time that we came on the forums and I was added as a moderator. Since then the NAOC has changed the cutoff to a rolling 35 years - currently 1980. The forums were never changed to reflect that.

Paul

The reason for the break is because that was the cut-off for the NAOC at the time that we came on the forums and I was added as a moderator. Since then the NAOC has changed the cutoff to a rolling 35 years - currently 1980. The forums were never changed to reflect that.

Paul

I had a hunch that was the reason. In any case, I think either a pre/post war distinction or something similar (performance and others) might make more sense. Of course, any such split only makes sense if the mainline forum is replaced. Otherwise, why bother with the split? Questions that belong in the specialized forum end up in the general one, and vice-versa, which negates the reason for having a split in the first place. I've been struggling with this on Classicoldsmobile.com for a while now. The current subfora have a lot of overlap in subjects. For example, nearly all of the posts in the "Cutlass" forum also apply to 442s. There are Small Block and Big Block subfora (despite the fact that the only substantive difference is deck height), but no forum for other Olds engines like the first gen V8s or the 215. I've been unable to convince the admins to streamline things.