Rearview Mirror Wiring

TexasLowell

My map lights are not working. I found a wire coming out of the tonneau cover next just behind the drivers seat. Apparently the hardtop had been removed at some point (I haven't had it off) and they failed to connect a wire. I suspect this is the wiring for the rearview mirror and map lights. I can't find out what this wire connects to. It is only about 6 inches long so the other end can't be far away.

It is really hard to look around back there with the hardtop on. Does anyone have a picture or a good description of how this connects?

Guest BobFitz

It connects to a similar plug underneath the cover with the two slots. stick your fingers down there and you should be able to pull it up.

Bob

It connects to a similar plug underneath the cover with the two slots. stick your fingers down there and you should be able to pull it up.

Bob

Thanks for the info. I can feel a wire down there but I can't pull it up. I am afraid to pull it up with pliers for fear that I am feeling the wrong wire or that I will disconnect something. Do you know if there are other wires down there?

Guest BobFitz
Thanks for the info. I can feel a wire down there but I can't pull it up. I am afraid to pull it up with pliers for fear that I am feeling the wrong wire or that I will disconnect something. Do you know if there are other wires down there?

Don't use pliers! My PO pulled one of the wires out of the plug breaking the pin. The aft end of the wire is the one with the plug which you need to pull. No other wires there that I can recall.

Bob

I'm guessing that the 'door ajar switch' is where it should be plugged into which is the switch/button on the rear of the door opening. The plug you have the picture of does look like the one that gets connected to the defroster in the hardtop rear window. Don't know what the connection looks like at the door ajar switch but a repairman might have connected the wrong plugs if they look the same.

The picture of the wire looks more like it is coming out of the hardtop because of the length of it. You had said that the wire came out of the tonneau but that wire is shorter than the wire pictured. People will tuck the wire out of the tonneau under the tonneau when they take the hard top off so that it will not show and flop around. Look down in the 2 openings on the small piece of plastic between the tonneau and the door opening also where he seat belt comes out from and see if there is not a wire there with the same looking fitting. On the map light underneath the rear view mirror, I just checked mine and it works independently of the door ajar switch and it is worked by a switch on the driver side of the rear view mirror on the bottom side. It works both map lights under the mirror.