1927 dodge roadster brake job/

Guest mhwilliams

Guest mhwilliams

Howdy y'all,

Yahoo, The brake job was a success. I used a hub puller from Meyers Early Dodge, that i borrowed and subsequently had to pay for because i did not use it properly. There is a man that makes all kinds of hub pullers for these old cars. His web site is customhubpullers.com. He makes the claim you cannot break his. This is a great site to visit for advice. Thanks for sharing y'all. Now that i have the brakes on and the bearings greased and new felts put on. Does anyone know just how tight the axle nut should be. I'm thinking that just getting it good and tight using a 24 breaker bar would be enough. I just don't want to get it on there to tight and have the same problem i had getting them off this last time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Now i'm looking for a good stewart warner vacuum tank. The car has a electric fuel pump with a regulator, but that is not working so well. I think that a properly operating vacuum tank would work better. Any suggestions?

thanks

Matt.

The real purists prefer the vacuum tank. The DBC site has a reprint on how to get these back and running. An electric will work also. Best to drain the fuel tank and get as much crud out. Under the car cut in a fuel filter. I use a 1/4 in inside diameter NAPA which has a plastic body through which you can view the fuel; maybe a part 3040 or so? Use small radiator clamps rather than the spring clamps. Once you get that far and are o/s with a good fire extinguisher at hand you should be able to see the fuel being pulled from the tank through the filter. Next use air to blow back the electric fuel pump. Hook it up after the filter and try again. For the fuel regulator the reprint says about 1/2 psi. I set mine at 1 and 1/2 psi and have a good fuel valve on the carb. If you do not the pump will flood the carb and fuel will come out the throat. Again o/s; lots of caution. If you get that far and the carb will not start the engine consider an on off switch for the electric so you can run the carb and engine dry of fuel on shut off. Easy to gum the carb up on engines used only now and then. If that is the case you need to take off the carb and clean up. If using vac tank also have a shut off on the bottom of the tank andrun the engine out of fuel.

Paul

Edited by Paul Bohlig (see edit history)