Help with Stop light

MrLiken

It looks like there is a film on the glass similar to the tarnish that gets on brass that is not kept polished You could try soaking the glass in lemon juice as this is what I have found works great on heavy tarnished brass Glass can be polished with a metal polish like Brasso or Purple Metal polish Hope this helps

I would start with glass cleaners: soak in water and dishwash liquid. Then meths. It might have an oily film on it from use on the road. You could even try acetone, but with care. Polishing removes substrate as well as "tarnish" so be careful, it will lose its crispness. I think I would keep away from a buffing wheel, too easy to break it.

From a little internet research and photos of auctioned pieces, it appears that the background is supposed to be "darkened" with only the raised letters clear red? Can anyone confirm. I would like to find an original or original looking light for my 15.

• 2 weeks later...
From a little internet research and photos of auctioned pieces, it appears that the background is supposed to be "darkened" with only the raised letters clear red? Can anyone confirm. I would like to find an original or original looking light for my 15.

Can you post a link (or links) to that information ? It may lend other clues to those who are trying to help.

Also, a photo sample of the 1915 style light you're trying to locate would be helpful. I have several lights in stock but have no idea what they go to. If you post a pic I'll be happy to compare.