63 parking brake release handle

petelempert

Anybody know of a replacement source for or have a decent parking release handle they want to sell? Mine is cracked in half and looking terrible. I'm not sure how it even comes off. It's definitely not threaded on like later GM stuff. To my eye, it's different (wider post and seems to have a set screw/or pin) than the GM replacement stuff you see out there. Thanks in advance for any advice. PRL

Nada. Zilch. The goose egg. Nobody has any parking release handle replacement scoop. It figures since it's sort of an odd part. That said, I couldn't stand the way it looked on my 63. So, last night, I got sort of inventive: I cut the old broken one off and took the pin out of the stud that holds the old handle in. Took a GM issue brake release handle (black plastic with white type, but a different font than original) that I had in a box of left overs from my 442. I milled the handle to match the OD on the stud then cut a 1.5 " metal sleeve to join the two. Put a dab of JBWeld on the sleeve and joined them. It functions perfectly, says "Parking Brake" on the handle, looks perfectly GM and at home in my Riv. Sometimes you've got to make this stuff up. The judges at the Concourse D'Elegance in Monterrey (that I'll never enter) might ding me, but no one else will ever know. PRL

post-52102-143142901483_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looks like. Not sure why the heck it's sideways. Anyway, you get the idea. BTW-Seafoam, you should open your heart to the Dash Topper. I think secretly, you are harboring an interest in the Dash Topper. Don't fight it. Sure, right now the interior on your 65 is achingly beautiful and original. But, my friend you cannot stop the mighty tide of time and the aging process. As time and the elements take their toll, years from now you may gaze across the expanse of your faded and wrinkled dash pad and think "I am missing something, what is it? The Dash Topper of course!". Even Bill Mitchell, our designer who art in heaven wore a topper on his head. It was a toupee of course, but it's function was the same. I hate the invoke the whole "what would Mitchell think" thing on you again, but I believe it's fair. PRL