Por 15

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

The 53 Roady has good floors but I think I'll neaten up a bit with Por 15 before I run the new hydraulic lines to the rear windows. Gloss or semi gloss?.......... One thing is increasingly apparent. If you completely went to bare metal How could you bring yourself to ever use as much tar as the factory? And if you don't wouldn't it be like driving a tin can?

Pat

Totally understand, Pat. Are you talking about using POR 15 on the underbody? Are you brushing or spraying? If it is under the carpet on the inside, doesn't make a difference. I would go with whatever is the cheaper of the two. You can never go wrong with semi-gloss. Bu really should be primer - red oxide in color either way (inside or underneath vehicle).

I did this with my 57 Buick Special. Can believe that it would pretty much the same on the floors and underbody. And I did re-spray the undercoat on the parts that had it. Really not too bad. Nod nearly as bad as the factory application - good for 75 years...LOL

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks Jim

The floors have been blacked some years ago. I'm trying to put together a restoration that was begun in the 1980s, Was the area under the carpet and seats red oxide before the tar job or after? The last guys cleaned well and I don,t mind the black undercarriage a bit but they sprayed the firewall and deck lid black and they look real bad. My first car was a 57 46R. Pat

Edited by 53 Roady (see edit history)

I removed all the undercoating from my Riviera and painted the underside semigloss black about 25 years ago. I noticed the loss of the sound deadener right away.

Four years ago we went through the underside of my '60 Electra, older and ever so slightly wiser. We thoroughly cleaned the original undercoating and resprayed with a self etching undercoat called Rustfre, available on Amazon. The axle and torque tube got Imron. The surface shows real well on the gas tank.

130.jpg

Bernie

Wheel wells should probably be undercoated to prevent chips if it will be a driver. But I would not put tar under the carpets. There are better insulations for under the carpet and no one is going to lift the rug to check the color, so go with the best inexpensive coating you can. Even primer and spray paint.

BTW, my yellow and black 56 has a gray finish on the floors under the carpet.

Under side of the floor pan I'd follow what Jim did. It's too bad his car can't be rolled over to see the bottom. It's awesome under there.

Guest 53 Roady

In the Hemmings "Classic Car " #91 they show the restoration of a 53 Skylark and talk about red oxide primer inside the body but when they show the tubing install on the floors they are grey. Of course the Skylarks were not ordinary Roadies. Still puzzling...