1940 Chevy KC Pickup ID / Engine ID help please

Guest DaveFL

Hi,

I just purchased a 1940 Chevy Pickup. Most likely it's a KC Light Delivery 1/2T (matches the description and image of one). The truck is missing an identification data plate. It is either missing, or like I read somewhere else It just didn't come with one maybe.. I have a title for it, indicating " K3420019 " as the serial #. I'm unable to find any information on this eight-digit code. The engine block casting reads:

GM (48)

A search led me to find 3835253 is a 48/49 216 inline six. Which i assume is what the circled (48). Above that on a tab that sticks out of the block with 462 or 4162 engraved on it. I found a similar block on ebay and this code was way longer..possible grinder damage?

So to help me get a much better understanding of this truck

Can you please tell me what these represent?

1) K3420019 (found on title for serial #)

2) 30 (two numbers at end (below) engine block engraving 3835253 30

3) 4 6 2 (on flat tab sticking out of passenger side of block)

Thanks in Advance

Guest Oldengineer

I have a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster with the 216 in it. These cars were titled by their engine serial numbers. The serial number is stamped on top of a flat pad just to the left of the distributor as you look down on it. My car has a ID tag on the firewall on the passenger side, and, there's also a tag mounted on the passenger door pillar about halfway up from the floor.

Regards:

Oldengineer

I have a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster with the 216 in it. These cars were titled by their engine serial numbers. The serial number is stamped on top of a flat pad just to the left of the distributor as you look down on it. My car has a ID tag on the firewall on the passenger side, and, there's also a tag mounted on the passenger door pillar about halfway up from the floor.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Okay, I assume your engine serial number is longer than three digits. That is where mine reads 4 6 2, looks as if it was grind smooth...

Once i thought of it, i see now that K 2 3 4 0 0 1 9 on the title is from an old engine no longer in the truck. And there is no ID Plates. oh well, thanks for clearing that up