Help date my Duplex

Guest Hein F

Hi all

I am from South Africa and need help determining year of manufacture of my Studebaker Duplex Phaeton r/h drive. According to the title its a 1927 Duplex Phaeton which I am not sure off at all. This is the numbers I found on the engine block: GE 30721, cast number: 127353-1 and the number H-5-17.

On the cylinder head I found casting number 127261-1 and H-5-18. There is also a tag on the firewall (engine side) with the number GET (upper line) and 604 below that. The serial number on the left side of the chassis is 1440019.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks

post-105216-143142891994_thumb.jpg

post-105216-143142891996_thumb.jpg

post-105216-143142891999_thumb.jpeg

post-105216-1431428920_thumb.jpg

Like many Studes of this era it looks to have a mixture of parts though may well have been like that from new. Looking at pictures in James Moloney's book Studebaker Cars there are lots of period pics of cars like that. The H in the engine number is 1928 so May 1928 is the casting date. The serial number is from the second series GE, also mid 1928 - the numbers started at 1437601. The radiator is certainly from 1928-29. The headlights are second series GE but the cowl lamps look to be an earlier style - the EU style cowl lamps were also used on the first series GE models.

Many American makers made regular mid season changes to their cars around the late 1920s, early 1930s. Studebaker probably more so than most. As was noted in a post recently in the 1925-27 era there were about 6 different, although similar looking, radiator shapes.

I have not seen a Duplex tourer from this later era - even now I can't find one on the net - but according to The Standard Catalog they were available at least in the early part of the run, maybe to use up the bodies from the previous EU series, because the style is of the EU.

That is certainly an odd one. Third Design 1928 GE Dictator chassis with the earlier style body that was used on the 1927 EU Dictators. Doesn't even show up in the Body Parts Book. I am assuming that it was an export model that they decided to use up left over parts. So the chassis and engine are 3rd design Dictator, body is '27 EU carried over to the GE. See Antique Studebaker Review for March/April 2007 page 8 for details on the GE. Oh, Studebaker did state that GE cars with serial numbers higher than 1437601 would be classified as 1929 model year cars even though the last ones were built in Oct 1928.

Thanks Nzcarnerd and studeq for your valued input.

A few more questions. How many Duplex Phaetons were manufactured in 1928 ? How would you refer to this Duplex Phaeton, a EU series or GE series Dictator. What would the body tag letters and numbers mean ? Please advise how I can get access to the Antique Studebaker Review for March/April 2007 ?

Thankspost-105216-14314289288_thumb.jpg

There are no production figures by body style for any Studebaker assembled prior to 1934. However the fact that your body tag says 604 (lower line) that would indicate that at least 604 were built. No way to tell how many after yours. As stated in my previous post your car is pretty much accepted by collectors as a 3rd design 1928 Dictator GE though for licensing purposes Studebaker arbitrarily assigned a 1929 date to it. As for the reading the body plate very simple, GE if the symbol for the Dictator the T is for Touring and the number 604 means it was the 604th model GE Dictator touring BODY assembled. Two pages below, one from the Antique Studebaker Review and the other general mechanical specifications. If you plan to keep the car you would be well advised to join the ASC http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/membershippage/membershippage.htm It specializes in 1946 and earlier Studebaker made products only.

post-30776-143142892904_thumb.jpg

post-30776-14314289289_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the valuable information studeq, especially the wiring diagram and service information. All this information certainly shed some light on the history of my Duplex. I could not understand how it could be a 27 model as I have read that Studebaker did not fit wooden wheels on any 1927 Studebakers because of a brake clearance issue ? I do intend keeping my Duplex to add to my collection and restore it to its former glory, although it might take a while. I have been after this Duplex for the past 11 years and now its mine :). I will most certainly join the ASC with my now confirmed 1928 Studebaker Dictator GE Duplex Phaeton ;)

Thanks once again for all the help

Much appreciated

In 1927 Studebakers equipped with 4 wheel brakes had internal expanding front brakes and external contracting rear brakes operating on pressed steel brake drums. In 1928 they went to internal expanding at all four corners which operated against cast iron drums which allowed the use of wood spoked and wire wheels.

Terry

Hi Terry

Yes My car does have the internal expanding front and rear brakes with the cast iron drums, and its fitted with 20" wooden spoked wheels.

Thanks

Hein