Opening Trade With Cuba: What happens to the glorious old cars of the '50's?

stexch

We don't know when free trade with Cuba will happen, but based on yesterday's announcement of establishment of diplomatic relations, it appears that it's a matter of when, not if.

What will be the effect of opening trade between the US and Cuba on the fleet of American cars from the '50's that are now on Cuban roads?

Possibility 1: American collectors swoop in and grab them all. (Unlikely, because most are well-worn sedans that have had to be modified numerous times to keep them on the road);

Possibility 2: They are all crushed when newer used American cars become available. (Sad, but possible, especially for those in the worst shape).

Possibility 3: Cubans access the American parts market and perform amateur restorations. (Best case).

Maybe some combination of the three?

In any event, Cubans won't have to use shampoo in place of brake fluid, which is great news.

I've heard it said that one would be better off visiting a salvage yard in the U.S. and purchasing a car than to bring one back from Cuba. Generally speaking. That doesn't go for the ultra-rare and valuable cars such as Mercedes-Benz 300SL coupes and roadsters, or the handful of Classics that may still be there.

I was thinking the same thing when reading an article on the warming relations between the US and Cuba... I hope they continue to rock the classics, new cars would probably be out of the price range for many anyway.

Years ago our local library had a great book on the cars of Cuba. Just full of great pictures and stories about the people and cars they drive. Lots of russian gaz and uaz engines transplanted into western rides. It was amazing how they would keep the old girls on the roads using piles of spares we would consider beyond junk. I remember reading about headgaskets made from rubber bath mats... yeowza!

I remember when attendeing the Annual Meeting in Philly a fellow named I beleive Rick Scnitzler held a seminar on the Cars in Cuba and a documentary was filmed. It was aired on PBS, it was about 15 to 20 years ago. He had said that the cars were a little "long in the tooth" and things were made to work with what they had. An example I remember was an early 50's Cadillac with a Russian Diesel powering it.

Cubans may be able to buy the pre '59 parts they need from the US

They be able to buy them but I don't think they have the money to pay for them. their economy is BAD!!

Cubans may be able to buy the pre '59 parts they need from the US

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the parts on all those old, American, cars are still "original", ie: the real deal.

I've heard of barrels and whatnot being cut and shaped to replace various body parts as there was little recourse.

The way it looks Cubans have been very inventive about keeping those cars on the roads....... :)

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Most of them have been in continuous use since before 1959. With no regular parts source, they kept them going with odds and ends off the junk pile, or simply threw the old parts away if the car would run without them. Most are in far worse condition than one you would find in an American junkyard.

I expect that as soon as the government allows private ownership of cars, the oldies will be junked and they will buy Kias like everybody else.

You see the only reason they kept the old klunks on the road, was that in 1959 the government made it illegal for private individuals to own cars. Those who had cars could keep them but no new cars were sold, and of course, there were no car dealers or parts stores.

There are a few nice old cars that have been stored in garages and used sparingly but most of them are shot to blazes.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I know everyone is thinking "It is a poor country so the cars are going to be sooo cheap". Guess again. The CUC (cuban peso) and the USD are equal, 1 USD is 1 CUC. Take a look at the link that Harold just posted. A jumbled together 55 Chevy is still going for $8,800. If you ever brought one back to the US and tried to sell it you are going to have to overcome the stigma of it being a Cuban car. Everyone knows how poorly they have been maintained and every the really nice cars are going to suffer from that stigma.

Just imagine, if the government shut down all the car factories in 1959, your beat up 55 Chev would be worth $8800 too.

Or $23500 for a 52 Ford, completely reconditioned, with a Hyundai engine. This is not a joke or a toy, this is what people are driving.

http://www.revolico.com/autos/carros/se-vende-un-carro-ford-del-52-matanzas-9853959.html

Later.... reading down the list I see late model Fiats, Ladas, Kias etc for sale. I don't know how this squares with the people not being allowed to buy cars. It appears newer cars are for sale in limited numbers. Does anyone know the details?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Classic American Cars of Cuba, produced for PBS in 2002, 47 minutes.

<iframe width="512" height="376" src="http://video.pbs.org/viralplayer/1317690969" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" seamless></iframe>

There's another good one, Cuba, The Accidental Eden, for Nature in 2010, 53 minutes.

<iframe width="512" height="376" src="http://video.pbs.org/viralplayer/1598230084?chapter=1" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" seamless></iframe>

Thanks Biscayne John for mentioning the Cuban cars video,

TG

Guest 60electra225

I dare say that there will be restrictions on the export of any perceived valuable vehicles. These early cars have been a large part of their tourism industry for many years for those of us fortunate to have been able to visit. Most have been modified in one form or another in order to keep them running, from diesel motors to cars with the gear shift coming out from the underside of the body and the shift lever outside the driver's window ! Talk about innovation. Let us hope that by opening up the country to visitors from the US that it doesn't change it too much.

Guys, it can't be all bad. Got to be some good ones. Within the last year or so, on this very forum, someone had a short photo essay on Cuban cars. Among them was an early 40's Willys coupe that looked pretty darn good. Maybe someone can find the thread and re-post that picture. I'd put my old lady's driver out in the rain and sweep the garage if I could land that baby!!!

No one has mentioned here that about a year ago the Cuban govt began freely issuing licenses for individuals to sell cars. Cubans can now buy many makes of european and asian made cars not associated with american manufacturers.

Cuban cars are mostly old farmers cars brought in from the country because those survived better than the worn out city cars.

The drive trains are almost entirely changed to asian diesels. What amazed me was how several models had the old 3 on the tree shift set up to work with 4 and 5 speed transmissions. That took someone some time and ingenuity.

We Americans tend to forget that people from Europe have had free access to Cuba for many years. If their were any really good cars I would expect most to have already been plucked especially with a strong Euro and Pound. There may be a few still tucked away but I am afraid we are late to this party.

A few of my fellow Canadians have been to Cuba quite often, one guy even moved there. Some take old car parts from here and give(donate) them to the locals to help keep the cars running. The people are very grateful for anything as they have little to no hard currency but go out of their way to be hospitable.

Guest AlCapone

I have been to Cuba many times in the last 10 years. I have not seen one car that I would like to own. Most are rust buckets with makeshift repairs such as license plates bolted to fenders to cover holes, steel house panels wired to the sides of doors. All in all it is not the utopia that many have dreamed about.

Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Exactly, Al. Time did not stand still in Cuba, so the old Yank tanks will likely not be worth bringing back to the mainland.[/quote

I asked a guy with a 58 pontiac when he last washed or waxed it. He laughed and said this car is to drive mon not to take pictures of. He had 2 Whitewall tires and 2 blacks and they comprised of 3 different sizes. He had wooden crates to sit on and when asked where the seats were he said he traded each one for 5 gallons of gasoline. Gas is about $3 dollars a gallon but the average Union wage is 22 dollars a month. People headed to Cuba expecting to see a large collection of nice cars are in for a shock in my opinion. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back to the top.

I am going on a music and art tour in Cuba next week.

The travel agent suggests to bring gifts and that they love those hotel shampoos and the likes as well as Guitar strings, candy, bars of soap and coloring books.

I happen to have a few boxes spark plugs new in the box that I plan on taking and I also have some auto related coloring books.

I also have some Euros that I am taking to exchange. I guess after all is said and done on any money conversions there is an extra 10% fee for US dollars.

Fun stuff.

I see that a few of you on here have been there. Any tips to share for an old country boy from Oregon?

Only eight people on this tour including the guide that lives in Florida.

Oddly enough, one of the side features of the tour is a ride in an old car. Cant wait.

• Like 1

I just got back from the 8 day  "Western tour"... it was great except it's hard to get small change to give tips to all the old ladies at the hidden away bath rooms!

I liked Cuba a lot..... NO 7-Elevens ...no fast food joints or strip malls.

Started the vacation at the El Presidente Hotel in Havana.

Rosie was a great tour guide with Tony the bus driver.

Rode in a couple old cars a 47 Chevy convertible and a 52 Olds 4 door. Beaters!

The Cubans are real friendly... the language and money is kinda a hassle though... at least for me.

• Like 1

Interesting thread. Didn't realize this existed. https://www.revolico.com/autos/

How do you do the currency conversion?

This is not right. 33,000 CUC =33,000.00USD, http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=33000&From=CUC&To=USD

'59 Cadillac series 62, Price Precio: 33,000 cuc

Motor v8 original reparado con todo traído de usa carburador edel Brock 4 bocas new, radiador de aluminio, mangueras de alta precios motor de arranque moderno new para ese modelo de motor, dirección suspensión new, automático con la caja de velocidades de fábrica, diferencial de Ford Mustang new traído con freno de disco en las 4 ruedas, todos los accesorios de la pizarra traídos y algunas cosas más. Certifico en mano listo para traspaso para mas info . Llamar al telf ,

17755078c.jpg

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Most of the vehicles in Cuba are in sad shape. I remember a blurb on TV that featured a '57 Chevy that had a Russian Diesel engine and had the fuel tank located in the rear seat area. The salt air on the island has also taken it's toll. Aside from that, before any car leaves the island, the Cuban government will have it's hand out with all sorts of "export taxes". and bribes to get the car's out. Even the people that own the cars will pump up the price for the "rich americans". Don't get your hopes up!

Thanks for that Bob, we have been forewarned that there is just about nothing that a typical US tourist is used to.

Little to no internet, cell phones, ATMs and those comforts that we are used to.

I will make it a point to spend some bills and save the change in my pocket.

Mike,

The CUC to dollar is indeed at a one to one exchange, however there are fees to convert so in the long run the dollar doesn't really equal the CUC.

The Cuban banks charge an additional 10% for US dollars than other currencies.

But for the ease of conversion I am inclined to just write off the fees and think of a one to one exchange.

I mentioned that I have some Euros and that will save me a few bucks by using them instead of USDs. If I spend all of that I can still sell some USDs but will be into the local currency 10% deeper.

If an American was to go shopping for any high ticket items he may be better off buying Canadian dollars or Euros to go shopping with.

Even though I am one of those guys that always has his eyes open for a car deal I have little interest in getting into searching out any deals on this trip.

Woodie is probably correct that it just would not be worth the hassle, and I am aware that the sad fact is that the locals have been patching these oldies up for 50 years with little access to parts.

from what i've heard, the old cars in cuba aren't permitted to be exported by the government. but another thing i've heard is that they are so popular among tourists, that cuba will be IMPORTING vintage american cars from the mid-late 50's, which i guess would drive the prices of these cars UP here in the us.

I would look at the money side.  These cars are marketing folklore.  My bet is that more 50's cars will be brought down to Cuba to make a high priced taxi fleet or tour car.  In five years you may find yourself riding in a 55 Chevy that looks all beat up only to learn that it was imported into Cuba four years earlier.  There is no way those cars would be worth anything in this country, they are worth a mint in Cub as a promotion.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2014 at 5:22 PM, Harold said:

You can go to Cuba's version of Craigslist (www.revolico.com), punch a make of car into the search box, and you can see what some of these cars have evolved into. I'm into early '50's Plymouths, and some of the ones for sale are modified beyond belief, just to keep them running.

When I click your link it brings me back to this page. Too bad as I think it would be really interesting to see that.

One of our Tidewater Region members gave a presentation last year at the Annual Meeting in Philly.  She and her husband have been regular visitors there for many years and I've always enjoyed their stories about the cars and the culture.  They have to be great mechanics and real innovators as I understand there are a lot of sedans that have been made into convertibles, and a lot of cars kept running with small Russian made diesel engines, etc.  Up close, most are only a distant relative of what they used to be, but you have to admire the craftsmanship and spirit.   I believe there is also an interest there in restoring and collecting cars but I'm not sure the standards of authenticity are what we are accustomed to.   It'll be interesting to see how this all develops over the years.   Keep us posted on your visit.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

When I click your link it brings me back to this page. Too bad as I think it would be really interesting to see that.

It did the same thing to me.  That's weird.  If you type-in the web address manually you will get to revolico.

• Like 1

I recall seeing a PBS show on this and how it was unlawful for Cubans to be operating auto repair shops out of their garages for profit not authorized by the government. But some did it anyway, under the radar and maybe officials didn't mind looking the other way. One fellow was specialized in sheet metal and it showed him shaping a new rear fender of sheet steel by hand. Can't find that show on youtube or i'd post a link.

23 hours ago, mike6024 said:

How do you do the currency conversion?

From what I have read in The Wall Street Journal

and other places, all the U. S. dollars spent

don't go to the people as you may think, but

go instead to help prop up the oppressive

Communist government.  Much as in North Korea,

tourists are only seeing and hearing what that

oppressive regime wants you to see, so you will

form blissful wrong opinions and spread them abroad.

One person very familiar--a former Communist--

wrote that the tour guides are parroting only what

the dictatorship wants you to hear:  How wonderful!

If you really want to see old cars, join your club and

organize a visit to a good American junkyard.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've travelled to Havana twice since last August for research on a book about the cars of Cuba. On the first trip, I went alone having studied the place for two years now, and stayed in a casa particular, in a room in someone's home. My seat-mate on the plane is an a capella singer whose group travels the globe headlining at music festivals, and is a car guy with a '50 Buick Super Sedanet and a '56 Chevy Bel Air sedan, both project cars. We became immediate friends and he took me around on his scooter to places I wouldn't have normally seen,  I had recommendations on where to stay by a Quebecois car guy who winters there, so it wasn't like going there blindly. I didn't want or need the structure of a tour, as I was going under OFAC regulations as a researcher, and a tour would have been hindering.

At the casa each night (this was in August), the family I stayed with searched their car-for-sale websites for a car to buy; and by my December trip they had purchased a $40K newer SEAT sedan, although the husband really wanted a '50's model to take tourists around in. The people who rent their homes (or rooms) or drive tourists make decent money, more than we are led to believe. They can use their SEAT to take and deliver guests to the airport, so it was a business decision, as much as a status symbol.

Some tips before you go...

Get euros from your bank before you go, as you will be charged for converting dollars into CUC's, plus a 10% penalty. That quickly adds up, so if you fail to go the bank euro route, at least change your dollars to euros (or Canadian $$$) at the airport before your arrival. In their two-tiered monetary system, you will have little or no need for the CUP, as tourists almost universally use the CUC. There are plenty of articles out there if this if it you need clarification and, as others have noted, the $ = CUC, give or take a nickel. The coinage is decimal system, easy to use, and spare change is handy for tips.

Plan on budgeting $100 a day, whether you spend it or not, less if you're on an inclusive tour. Meals, drinks, taxis, tips and souvenirs add up quickly. Budget extra if you plan on bringing home some of their fine tourist (car-related) artwork, the better of which is oil on canvas. Plan on negotiating a little bit for the art, and larger pieces require a tax stamp (5 CUC) to leave the country. This can be done at the airport or at the huge San Jose Almacenes Artisan's Market.

If you plan to travel on buses or trains, or anywhere you need a public restroom, stash some TP in a baggie rather than relying on the restroom attendants. It's not that they don't have TP in Cuba, but it's in short supply and it's best to be prepared. Bring a small travel first aid kit, as the few farmacias you will see won't have topical antibiotics and band-aids are hard to come by.

Gifts are great and much appreciated; I brought extra toothbrushes and small tubes of toothpaste, my two friends on the December trip brought mid-size and mini Maglites from Home Depot. On my trip in February, I'm going to bring some '50's 1/64th scale models for Carlos,  my cab driver's 4-year-old son. I was Carlos's first Americano fare, as they shun his little Daewoo Tico sedan for flashier vintage iron, but he has become a friend now, and discounts nearly every fare. Most taxi drivers speak basic English, so if you find one you like, get their card and use them often. They all have cell phones, as do the owners of your hotel or casa, and make sure you get the business card of your accommodations, too.  

If you have an international plan on your phone, it should work in Havana and other larger towns, and this can be verified by your service provider. Take it out of Airplane Mode (but don't enable Wi-Fi) and Cubacel should pop up as available. I didn't do much texting, but it's handy to have to call fellow travellers, your hotel or casa, and just in case of an emergency (U.S. Embassy, (+53) 7839 4100. if calling within Cuba, leave off the (+53)). I didn't notice any real changes in billing, so it was a comfort to not have to hunt coins and find a working pay phone. Besides, their pay phones are very confusing!

Internet is only available at Wi-Fi hotspots, and hourly-rate cards can be purchased at the better hotels. Find one, like the Hotel Ambos Mundos, go to the rooftop bar, have a cerveza or mojito, and enable Wi-Fi if you're using a phone. Be mindful that an hour of usage goes very quickly, and don't forget to logout from the card and disable Wi-Fi when your session concludes. It's actually refreshing to be without constant Web access, and harks back to simpler times. 

Most importantly, get a good guide book well before your departure and study it. I bought several for comparison and like the DK Eyewitness Travel: Cuba best for its visuals and info. Remember that with Google Translate, there is virtually no language barrier, and searching for places in the native tongue yields far better results. If you're looking for good maps, search mapas; rather than peck around for Christopher Columbus, look for Cristóbal Colón. Translate also helps when you find an informative site in an unfamiliar language. One right click on, "Translate this page to English," and you're in like Flynn.

My experience is generally that the Cuban people love Americanos, will quickly relate those feelings, and that they appreciate the recent opening of relations.  Any travel requires one to be on guard, but I have never felt safer travelling anywhere, day or night, than in Havana.

TG

• Like 4