1932 900 cpe/rdster chassis paint

Guest diecuts

Guest diecuts

I am in the process of restoring a 900 roadster and opted for the $50 option of painting the chassis a custom color. The custom color is maroon. Did Packard have a cut off point of common sense regarding which parts of the chassis were custom painted? Obviously the frame, axles, wheel drums, tie rods, leaf springs, driveshaft, shocks, motor mounts, bumper mounts . However, what about front and rear fender supports, L & R spare tire stanchions, steering shaft and steering box, gas tank, firewall, etc.?? Since the car will be painted black, I am leaning towards black for the latter items. Also looking for a rear bumper support bracket, I have a rear bumper bracket for a rear spare version which is curved to allow for the spare, mine has the spares in the fenders so should be straight. Also looking for the holy grail of light eight horns, the trumpet version with the bell shaped with the Packard logo.....Any help is appreciated.

post-52062-143142889717_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...that pic looks familiar. We have a Packard Service Parts List for the 900. It lists various available color combinations. Interestingly the color combos are listed as for "Light Eight Model 900 and Twin Six Cars". In all cases where a color other than black is specified for the chassis it says "Standard Black Chassis Parts" in color. I would take this to mean that anything on the chassis which would normally be black would be painted the color specified. Obviously not including engine, trans, etc. Do you have a 1 piece rear bumper as was used with sidemounts? The bottom rumble seat step plate is different on the cars with rear spares versus sidemounts also.

Guest diecuts

This is a great forum. I appreciate your response. It's rewarding to get advice from someone that is familiar with Shovelnoses, and has posted merely about 1000 times more about Packards than myself. I have the 900 parts book, but not in front of me, should have thought of looking bumper support bars up. A pic is attached showing the front and rear bumper supports that I do have. One of them is chrome plated, this must be incorrect. Also shown are the actual bumpers themselves, both front and rear. The trumpet horn pic in the first post was taken at 2014 Hershey by yours truly. Also, another pic shows factory 900s with the unique trumpet horns. This is a pic of a factory photo. Will send pics separately as they are not attaching decently on this post. Regarding chassis colors, and what is considered part of the chassis, would that include the steering column and steering box? Gas tank? I have seen a few Packards done with colored chassis, but those items were painted black on those cars, perhaps in error or not , as they were 1933, one year later. The key is as you say, what constitutes 'Standard black chassis parts'?? Frame, axles, leaf springs, shocks, tie rods, motor mounts, make sense, the steering column assy and gas tank unit still gives me pause. Regarding brakes, any clear pics of how the shoes, springs ,etc go together? The parts book is sorely lacking in clarity..... Thanks, Lee

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287133[/ATTACH]Here is pic of the bumpers and back up bars.....

You appear to have the correct bumpers and brackets for a car with sidemounts. The longer bumper is the rear and should be about 65 1/2" long center to center on the end bolts. The front should be about 63 1/2" center to center. Cars with a rear mounted spare used a 3 piece bumper consisting of 2 "bumperettes" and a piece that stood off from and connected the two bumperettes. I don't see these in your picture. The bumpers should dip down in the center. If they are straight they are actually from a '33 1001.

Guest diecuts

Thanks for the input.

Regarding the bumper brackets, would the rear bracket match closely to the front bumper bracket in configuration? Note the large curve in one of the brackets.

Also, I have a pic and pattern from Penn dutch to make a piece of trim that covers over the tops of the front seats. This is a complicated piece to make, at least for me. Anyone happen to have one lying around??post-52062-143142910916_thumb.jpg

post-52062-143142910906_thumb.jpg

I am working on a 37 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe and need help with the chrome mechanism restoration. Will even consider stainless steel repro mechanism if available. Noticed in the picture above that this vendor restores/reproduces convertible top mechanisms. Would anyone know who the person/company is in the pic and an email address or phone number to contact them to find out more about their restoration services. Thanks. My email address is pint4@new.rr.com.