atalanta

I have seen 2 different kinds of the Atalanta mascots. In the March/April 2004 Review on page 23 is an ad and picture of one for an Erskine. Mr.Olson has it for sale. Much more streamlined than the usual one's on 27 and 28's. I think a Mr. Mose designed the more winged one?..... Now to the new 2015 calendar by the S.N.M. Pictured is what I'm reasonably sure is a later model of 27 Commander roadster on the 1st page. Later because of style of cowl and head lights. It looks every bit like mine. Now; in this picture the radiator mascot is the type that Mr. Olson advertised for the Erskine. Why this mascot on this car {adorned by the nice looking Zigfield Follies girls] instead of the other Atalanta? What type would be proper for my car,being a later 27? Would somebody shed some light and educate me? Commander Dave

There were at least five different types/styles of the Atalanta mascot not counting the Erskine which was completely different. I have the Erskine plus 4 of the other styles and there was at least 1-2 more. At some point when the mood strikes I will photograph mine and post them. As for which went on your particular car hard to say as it depends on the series and production date. Some of course utilized the twist on type cap, some screw on (threaded) and of course later ones were chrome plated and earlier one white metal that is very prone to stress cracking. Commercial vehicles used one different than the passenger cars that had a much deeper "well."