WTB: 22' or 24' White extra height enclosed trailer

I am seeking a 22-24' enclosed trailer. Must haves is 1' extra height and white. Prefer 14k GVW, will settle for 10k GVW, Most important, not 3000 miles away. I am in RI. Any ideas? Your local Craigslist? Prefer new, will settled for slightly used. Ready to buy.

Tom there is a large trailer dealer in northern NJ that probably has in stock what you want. Have you looked into the requirements you might have to deal with in some states with a 14K trailer?

Robert

Tom,

Several years ago I had my all-aluminum trailer built by Forest River in Elkhart, Indiana. It is a 24 foot box plus 4-1/2 foot wedge/sloped front extension to lessen wind resistance and to provide additional inside storage. Twelve (12) tie-downs give lots of options for balancing the load. Four overhead lights, four lower-sidewall lights, and strips of LEDs in the floor make it so that I never have to hold a flashlight with my teeth while securing a load. A pair of 6,000 lb. Dexter Torsion axles and 8-lug forged aluminum wheels provide great stability, and I got rid of the Chinese Radial tires, replacing them with Michelin Load Range "E" radials (I also carry two or three spares, but haven't needed them since getting thr Michelins.The additional one-foot height allowed for brass-era cars to drive in without lowering the top - a VERY helpful item (ask me how I know). Roof vents covered by Air-MaXX boxes, and front and rear/left and right sidewall reversible air vents make a difference too !

Oh, and a driver-side access door , hinged upward, and extra length is worth its weight in gold. Get a good electric winch and a good electric tongue jack too.

Yes, it is a big investment, but should be a one-time investment, so go big and you won't have to think about upgrading by next autumn. I had made that mistake before ordering this one, and it cost me!

Whatever you do, good luck.

post-54863-143142895625_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142895639_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142895649_thumb.jpg

Marty nice trailer. My ATC was built by a company near Forest River with similar items except mine is a roll up door. I like the floor side lights and floor lights. Saves chewing on a mini mag! But! With those axles and tires I suspect an over 10,000 pound GVW placard on the tongue. You are in commercial territory in Maryland! Other states are considering this I am learning as it started with the Maryland requirement that you must cross scales if gross combined is over 10,000 which all of us are that tow auto trailers.

Robert

Marty,

Could you post a couple of pic's of your interior lighting ?

Now that I have completed my escape door, I need another project to keep me busy this winter, and lights will fill the bill.

You still need to wax your trailer.........................he.he.he.

Best Regards,

Mike in snowy Colorado

Marty,

Could you post a couple of pic's of your interior lighting ?

Now that I have completed my escape door, I need another project to keep me busy this winter, and lights will fill the bill.

You still need to wax your trailer.........................he.he.he.

Best Regards,

Mike in snowy Colorado

Hi Mike,

I'll try to get the car out of the way and get some pics later this week if possible.......and still can't find the time to wax the trailer

Mike in snowy Colorado,

No time to wax the trailer, or even to clean up the dirty floor - we're too busy having fun driving our '37 Buick Roadmaster - only in the mid-60s today under sunny Louisiana skies in preparation for New Years Eve. Back home now, but just enough time to get these photos for you of our trailer lights:

4 in the center of the ceiling, but I would like to split these into off-set pairs - not only down the center where they are directly above the car

4 in the lower sidewalls at about wheel-level

4 strips of LEDs about where the tie-downs attach to most of my cars (better than holding a flashlight with my teeth)

Sorry for the dirt, but if you want to get away from the cold and snow, you can come on down (and wax my trailer?)

post-54863-143142913547_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142913823_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142913838_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314291385_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314291386_thumb.jpg

Sometimes utility and urgency thereof tends to override daily scrubbing - but the cardboard on the floor does help with pre-war cars and their tendancy to "Mark Trail"

Marty,

Thank you so much for the pic's !!!

I agree with your "off set" idea for the overheads.

The side pocket lights seem like a very good idea too, and one I will adopt.

I will also add a pair of "tractor" lights at the top rear to brighten up the loading ramp. I think on a separate switch.

Love the cardboard on the floor. Just proves my approach. Why spend $$$ on Depends when a flat screen TV box will do.

Looking a pic #3, I see how you achieve the proper tongue weight. It also explains why I could not put my escape door over the wheel well. Yours look to be about 8-10" tall, whereas mine stand 16" tall, and my running boards stand 10.5" on the "Baby".

We drive / winch her in to the stops, drop her into low gear, and pull her back to the "balance point" with the rear tie downs.post-70733-143142917197_thumb.jpg

Now to get started sourcing parts, and wait till our mid winter thaw to get on this project.

Best Regards,

Mike in snowy Colorado

post-70733-143142917165_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Wheel boxes in my trailer are five (5") inches tall. I designed the trailer with a high floor to clear the 6,000 lb axles and 235/85R-16 LRE tires -

BUT the requirement was 5" wheel box height - this design element was so that even the lowest of my cars could open the driver's door over both the wheel box and the driver's side escape door.

Since it is a very high step, I also carry one of those folding steps which are made to hang over the tire of a truck. When this is hanging on the trailer tire I can step out of the escape door down onto the step, and then to the ground without jumping (getting up is MUCH easier too!).

Per you #3-photo-comment, that is not the norm for travel. I had picked up multiple sets of trailer wheels/tires for my other closed, open, and utility trailers, and also have the spare rear-axle for the 733 Packard mounted on spare wheels, and tied down for the move to another storage. Yes, there is still plenty of room for the biggest cars!

The extra long escape door allows egress from all of my cars while properly locating the car for balance