1950 chevy 2 ton truck engine ID

29tons

I don't think my truck has the correct engine if you know what year let me know .I have numbers stamped on the block next to distributer on the block 024bobot56z the forth and sixth letter could be B or 6 also casting number near starter D 13 56 also casting number near distributor 383700 under that GM 2 T Thanks for any help

It seems the 2 ton model is a 6100 >>> http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/series4.htm

It also seems there were only 2 engines available, a 216 and the 235 >>> https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevrolet-Trucks/1950-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

I have a '59 Chev Bel Air sedan with a 235 which is fine for me but I can't imagine a 2 ton truck with a 235....... :rolleyes: .......must have got the job though!

cahartley,

We have a 1946 2 ton flatbed that we use for hauling fruit to the packing sheds. The truck originally had a 235 and it was used regularly to haul 4 ton loads several times a day. It was also used to haul slightly lighter loads of packed fruit from Central Washington to Central Montana several times a month during summer months. The truck was not fast but it was reliable. My father took his driving test in that truck when it was new :). The truck has since been repowered with a chev 350 and an auto transmission and she still is our primary fruit hauler for the orchard.

Sorry for the hijack... I have no info as to engine numbers in a 50...

Truck should have come off the line with a 235 long side plate motor in it. I don't remember the HP rating at this point but have it around here....some place. These trucks weren't fast from a dead stop nor speedy but would roll well at the upper speeds of the day. Don't ask how I know. They were workhorses though and economical while working. You could cam these engines up to 145 hp from Chevrolet which made them livelier but a bit thirstier as well. Given the opportunity I'd stay with the six cylinder. Less hassle and hair raising experiences as well. Again don't ask me how I know. Good Luck with it

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion to try the Stovegolt forum is right on. I have a 1947 Chev QW 2 Ton and have found lots of help and info there. According to an old Hollanders Interchange Manual that I have, your truck should have come with a 235 with the prefix HDA, HDM HEA or HEM in front of the engine number. The number you quoted for your engine dosen't make any sense for Chev engines up to 1956 so I am not sure what it is.