Brake hoses

Budtee

I am preparing to install new hoses on my 89 TC 8v. I have ordered the front ones but have got conflicting info on the rear. Mine has 4 wheel discs and I thought all TC's had them. It is a short hose (6 or 8 Inches long) and has a "banjo" connection on the caliper end. The parts houses show an "inner or lower hose" which does not have the banjo connection as well as the upper hose with the banjo connection. Did some TC's have drum brakes on the rear? Is there another rear hose that I don't see?

Good post at the perfect time. There are FOUR hoses. 2 on each side. One on each side at the swing arm pivot at the rear, one that you saw at the caliper! I am finishing up the job of replacing them. The ONLY flare nut that will rotate on the steel line is the one at the front of the trailing arm. I tried to get the others loose while they were on the car and after I got them off. You have to start with the caliper flex hose. goggles are advised. At the front of that hose, heat with a torch till the hose blows off. Have a fire extinguisher handy. OR just use a small propane flame. Once the hose blows off you can rotate the flex line fitting off the steel line easily. Then go to the front hose. Heat the rear fitting for that hose till the rubber line blows off. Rotate the steel line off the off the flex hose fitting. Go the the front of that flex line. Rotate the flex hose off the steel line.

NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!!! I say rotate the flex line fittings off the steel line! You will not get the flare nuts loose except for the front of the front line to rotate. Not doing it this way means you will probably twist the steel line and need to replace it also!

Also remove the bracket on the swing arm that holds the brake line and the abs sensor wire during disassembly.

REASSEMBLY

Start at the front hose. Insert the front hose in the bracket and install the clip. The clips and hoses are made so that the hose only goes in the clip in one position. If you look you will see it is part hex and part rounded. When it pops in the bracket, install the clip. Then attach the steel lines. Go to the rear of that hose and install it in the bracket that bolts to the swing arm. Rotate the STEEL line onto the flex hose. Go the the rear of that steel line and rotate the flex hose onto the steel line.

NOTES You will have to bend the steel line on the trailing arms some to be able to rotate it on the front flex line. Take a picture of before you start. The front flex lines are interchangeable. The rear flex lines at the caliper are not! When you take the parts out of the boxes, identify the calipers and the rear flex hoses as right or left. Same for the outer brake pads. Inners are the same? My calipers had rotted dust boots. I replaced the calipers also. I also had to tap the outer pad into place?! They were Raybestos pads and a little too thick to slide in the the inner pads in place. There was plenty of clearance to slip over the rotor even with this oddity.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was taking a break when I saw your post. I still have to install the right rotor and caliper and then bleed. (the brakes) Please don't try to rotate the flare nuts on the trailing arm steel line. My experience is on a 41,000 mile car with surface rust only on some parts like the trailing arm! No body rust.

Thanks for all the info. I will look again. My car has 9,500 miles and there doesn't seem to be any rust at all underneath it so I may not have as much trouble. All parts look like new. That would be a good time to flush out the old fluid. Any tips on that?

I did a similar job on my l985 Mark Cross Convertible with 70,000 miles and my acetylene torch came in handy. I will order the other hoses but may not do the job until May when I get back from Texas. Cold here in Pa. and my garage is unheated. I head South right after New Years.

Thanks again.

While you are back there, replace the rubber fuel lines and filter. Definitely wait till warm weather! If you want a free piano tuning in Texas let me know. I'll just charge for travel expenses! I blew a deal a long time ago with Busch Entertainment to tune the piano in Florida. Fly down on corporate jet, tune the piano, and spend a couple days once a month!