Problem getting engine back into a Shelby 289 Cobra

Guest 1976pianoman

Guest 1976pianoman

Hello,

I'm helping my dad with his car and we ran into some trouble. Not sure anybody has some magic advice here that could help us, but thought it would be worth a try. The car is a 1964 FIA spec 289 Shelby Cobra 7000 series. We pulled the engine to replace a failed clutch bearing. We are using a stationary engine hoist mounted to the ceiling of the garage. The car is on casters so we can move it around and position it correctly. The transmission is connected to the engine. Getting the engine out was easy, now putting it back in has met with some trouble. When one engine mount is in correctly, the other is high and to one side or another - not by a lot, by about a half inch. No matter what we do (we spent an entire day with it) we can't seem to get the geometry right - even though we are so close. If this engine had not previously been in this car you would swear it could never work. Currently the transmission is where it should be - in the mounting plate. We've tried jacking up the trans from underneath to give us some more play, but that doesn't seem to help.

I have some pictures, but unfortunately for some reason I do not have a picture of the mounts themselves. I am 30 miles away from the car right now. I'll try to get my dad to send me a pic if that might help.

Any advise you guys might have would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-105173-1431428868_thumb.jpg

post-105173-143142886767_thumb.jpg

post-105173-143142886774_thumb.jpg

post-105173-14314288678_thumb.jpg

post-105173-143142886785_thumb.jpg

post-105173-143142886789_thumb.jpg

post-105173-143142886794_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1976pianoman (see edit history)

Make sure the front of the car is on the same angle it came out. As you lifted the engine out it changes the height of the car as you lift...weight and angle. What I am saying is you might not be able to reproduce the same geometry needed to remove the engine to get it back in. I would look to see what else you can remove to make the going back together easier, radiator, any transmission supports, anything in the way, you might have to lift the body. I would try contacting the manufacturer if all else fails. Good luck beautiful car!