What should we do with this?

This is mostly a 23-ish lincoln sedan body on a 1928-ish four wheel brake frame. It was made into a pickup in the 40s (maybe) and has been sitting for probably 50 years. The body wood is heavily damaged, the fenders, running boards, hood and all the front end steel parts are rusty (holes). The interior is shot, the wood wheels are shot, the tires, hoses, wiring, radiator and gas tank are shot. The glass is all broken.

That being said, it is remarkably complete, the engine turns and it looks pretty bad ass. It will require, depending on how crazy one gets, more money to fix than it will be worth. One will have to buy hood, fenders, running boards wheels etc etc and repair the wood structure and build door frames etc. In short, a good bit of money and an even better amount of work. There are, no doubt, many more original lincolns (we like lincolns) that would be more deserving of our efforts. We even have some of them already.....

It is tempting to part it since it can supply pieces to convert a touring car or something to four wheel brake. It has many hard to find engine parts and body parts that are probably needed on many other cars. It just so sad to take any old car apart these days unless it cannot be saved.

Opinions please!

post-60916-143142884721_thumb.jpg

post-60916-143142884733_thumb.jpg

This type of vehicle represents a difficult period in history. The cars that were made into trucks, tractors, etc. were done out of necessity. Today we look at them as alterations of original vehicles, but maybe they should be preserved/semi-restored/restored to honor the people and times when they were created. It has already got that patina that so many people are trying to duplicate!!!

A few years ago a Highway Patrolman was 30 miles off shore fishing.

He found a very large

bale of cocaine floating in the ocean. He called the Coast Guard.

Some one asked what I would do.

I said.... First thing I would do is throw the anchor and think long and hard.

I'm with 09CHADWICK.

The truck is a creation and a work of art, Folk Art, from a period of time I hope we never see repeated.

I would put it some where and think long and hard about destroying it or parting it.

If I were able I would make you an offer on it and make it a parade piece.

And sadly, people are now duplicating the look of your truck from perfectly restorable automobiles.

My 2 cents.

Merry Christmas.

Bill Harmauk

That's a tough one. I think what makes it interesting is the patina and the 'hack' of creating a work truck out of the sedan. If you could make it run and drive without much effort that would be a starting point. After that you might replace the wood and add wood running boards. I'd leave the wood unfinished for a month or so until it fades and then put on a satin finish. Replace the roof and try not to make it stand out. If you could make it a safe and workable truck without making it 'new', that would be an interesting project and something I think people would appreciate.

There is a family about 1.5 hours east of here who drive a 1925 or so Studebaker that has been trucked. It looks like yours in finish. The vehicle attracts a lot of attention. They carry a couch for the family in the back. It commemorates what happened during an austere period when trucks (let alone cars) were unobtainable and fuel was rationed. A farm vehicle could obtain more fuel, so .... Also, the servicemen's vehicles were sort of "spare" so they got converted to a better use.

It would be fun to get running and preserve for a while, before deciding what to do with it.

• 1 month later...
Guest 51Pontiac

If the engine turns over get running and driving first then go from there. You will be more interested in it after you hear that old engine start for the first time. The glass can all be replaced if it's all flat glass then any local glass shop can cut new ones.

• 4 months later...

This is mostly a 23-ish lincoln sedan body on a 1928-ish four wheel brake frame. It was made into a pickup in the 40s (maybe) and has been sitting for probably 50 years. The body wood is heavily damaged, the fenders, running boards, hood and all the front end steel parts are rusty (holes). The interior is shot, the wood wheels are shot, the tires, hoses, wiring, radiator and gas tank are shot. The glass is all broken.

That being said, it is remarkably complete, the engine turns and it looks pretty bad ass. It will require, depending on how crazy one gets, more money to fix than it will be worth. One will have to buy hood, fenders, running boards wheels etc etc and repair the wood structure and build door frames etc. In short, a good bit of money and an even better amount of work. There are, no doubt, many more original lincolns (we like lincolns) that would be more deserving of our efforts. We even have some of them already.....

It is tempting to part it since it can supply pieces to convert a touring car or something to four wheel brake. It has many hard to find engine parts and body parts that are probably needed on many other cars. It just so sad to take any old car apart these days unless it cannot be saved.

Opinions please!

Very nice Linus, great project...Keith

Here are my suggestions:

1-Make it roadworthy and use/show it as is. Like it was mentioned above, it is a window on an earlier time.

2-Restore it. You would never recoup your expenses but you would have saved what an enterprising person had to do to have a truck.

Interesting vehicle.

Last year I went to the Motorclassica, a prestigious car show and the car that attracted the most attention was a Barn Find. It's a window in time and would be great to be preserved.

It would be kind if fun to have this and show it to the public.

• 3 weeks later...