What was this man's contribution to the automobile??

nick8086

I did not think anyone could guess from a picture...

Muntz made fortunes by selling automobiles, TV receivers, and car stereos and tapes..

After his success as a used car salesman and with Kaiser-Frazer dealerships in Los Angeles and New York City, Muntz founded the Muntz Car Company,

I would have never recognized him from that photo. He was involved in many things including early television, which my father was also involved in. My father often mentioned him, usually by a then well known nickname, Madman Muntz. I can see that in the photo.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Muntz Jet was an interesting and unusual car. It began with a semi sports car built by race car builder Frank Curtis on a Buick chassis in 1941. After the war he began to make copies of it for sale. Muntz bought the rights to the car, and retooled it with a longer wheelbase and a rear seat. The first ones came with Cadillac OHV V8 and Hydramatic, later ones used Lincoln flathead V8 and Hydramatic.

In the late 1970s I worked in Van Nuys, California at a place that was walking distance to where Muntz was making and selling big screen TVs. He had a Muntz Jet in the display are. It was a bit worser for wear and age but was still an interesting car to look at. The TVs were simply a conventional TV wired to display backwards and mounted facing up with a mirror and back projection screen. Needed a really dark room to see the picture and I never figured out why anyone would buy one but the store was always fairly crowded so I guess he did okay business wise.

Would have been a bit nicer to view the car if the lights were up in the store but then he would not have been selling as many TVs.