Installing IMI Mini Gear Reduction Starter on my 64

dhaven64

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

I'm not sure if you've figured this out or not, but I can help you. I'm guessing the new IMI starter has two connections, one stud and one spade terminal, correct? The purple wire is your "s" terminal wire and needs to go to the spade terminal on the IMI starter. The yellow wire is a feed to your ignition coil and is normally hooked up to the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid. The IMI probably does not have a "R" terminal, but that's not a problem. If it does have a second small spade terminal, then it does have the "R" terminal. If it does not, then you will need to put a larger eyelet on this wire and hook it to the starter motor wire which is a large stud that is covered with a rubber boot. This terminal is on the opposite side of the battery stud that is exposed. Make sure you're clear on all of this before hooking everything up. You want to make sure everything is connected to the correct terminal. Feel free to get a hold of me if you're not quite sure.

Good Luck!

-Jason

OK Jason: Not to hijack the thread. I have a few nailheads that turn somewhat freely but due to a long hibernation just cant get enough of a spin to get the engine to fire. If I put one of these mini starters on a 401/425 like I've described would that be enough to get the engine to fire, assuming fuel, timing, dewel and spark were OK? Also, are there any advantages to having one of these on an engine? Thanks, Mitch.

Mitch,

I can not guarantee that one of these mini starters would start the engines you are dealing with since I do not know the reason why the original starter will not crank it fast enough. I will say that these Denso starters are a very good starter with a great deal of torque. To be honest, there is no better starter design than these Denso gear reduction starters in my opinion. I also sell the IMI starters if anyone would like a price, let me know.

-Jason