Bright LED in 3rd Brake Light

bobwhite

I replaced the two bulbs in the 3rd brake light. What a difference. They were much brighter and they don't get hot. It is true that they come on faster that filament bulbs. I followed my car and I could tell that the 3rd brake light did come on quicker than the lower ones. At 60 MPH, it could mean quite a few feet advance warning for the guy behind you. I used a Part Number: 1156-R45-T lamp that I got from https://www.superbrightleds.com/. I am very impressed. They come in several colors, make sure you get red, the same color of the lens.

Edited by bobwhite
correction (see edit history)

Bob-

Thanks for that info. I have been considering this same upgrade but hadn't yet looked for LED retrofits for 1141 lamps (original spec). And your observations are correct, studies established the benefit of the instant on nature of LED lamps in automotive brake lamp applications several years ago now. The lack of significant heat output is a nice bonus.

KDirk

Not for the third brake lamp. It would be needed for any lamp circuit controlled by a conventional flasher (I.e. turn/hazard signal bulbs) or they will go to "fast flash" as though there are bulbs burned out due to the reduced load in watts.

There are constant rate flashers made that would negate the need for a loading resistor. As it pertains to the Reatta, these constant rate flashers could be installed in 90/91 models with no additional modification. 88/89 would need the resistor kit as they use a special electronic control flasher module that cannot be subtituted with a normal flasher.

KDirk

Thank you, KDirk. So, my next question is, understanding I have adapted my rear turn signals and my flasher to accomodate three-bulb flashing, if I wanted to replace the bulbs in my rear tail light with LEDs would a resistor be needed?

Thanks,

S.