71 skylark

Guest burg314

Guest burg314

Where can I find the vin's on my 71 buick skylark custom? I need to register it in California and AAA needs 2 vin's in able to do that. Otherwise I'm going to have to jump through the loops of the good old dmv. Thank you in advance for ur help

Where can I find the vin's on my 71 buick skylark custom? I need to register it in California and AAA needs 2 vin's in able to do that. Otherwise I'm going to have to jump through the loops of the good old dmv. Thank you in advance for ur help

Two VINs? Since when. In any case, there are not two complete VINs on a 1971 GM auto. There is one VIN tag on the dash. All other stamps are VIN derivatives, which are partial VINs. The full VIN on your car is 13 characters. The VIN derivatives are only nine characters. The first character of the VIN derivative matches the first character of the VIN (it will be the number "4" for a Buick). The last eight characters of the VIN derivative will match the last eight of the VIN. There are VIN derivative stamps on the engine block, trans case, and frame. The cowl tag has a Fisher Body serial number that is not related to the VIN of the car. Your Chassis Service Manual will show where these are and will document the fact that they are not full VINs.

Guest burg314

Ya I guess AAA wants a complete 2 vin's. It sucks cause they are easy to deal w unlike the dmv. Cheaper and faster too. Well thank you for the help anyway.

Ya I guess AAA wants a complete 2 vin's. It sucks cause they are easy to deal w unlike the dmv. Cheaper and faster too. Well thank you for the help anyway.

Talk to someone at AAA who was born BEFORE your car was built. Newer cars have two complete VINs (and 17-character VINs). Older cars do not. Find a senior manager who remembers that.

I run into problems like this all the time, but the fact is, old cars won't fit into their "system" and if it's a person at the DMV doing it on a computer, you're going to strike out. They have completely lost the ability to think for themselves and solve problems, so if your car doesn't have a VIN like a modern one or multiple locations or whatever else they need, you should probably go somewhere else until you find someone with the ability and willingness to do what it takes to help you.

I recall taking a 1966 Lincoln convertible to the DMV--apparently at some point the driver's door had been replaced, including the door tag. Despite the big bold letters on the tag that says NOT FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION PURPOSES, someone had titled it by that number anyway. When I went to decode it, my green 4-door convertible decoded as a blue 2-door hardtop, and obviously it scared all the buyers away. So I went in to the special inspection station to have them verify the VIN (which was helpfully stamped on the inner fender under the hood) and correct the paperwork so it would match the car. When I arrived, I offered to show them where the numbers were and was told rather brusquely, "No, we know where all the SECRET VINs are, we don't need your help." Two hours later, a different guy came out and asked me to show them where the VIN was. Derp.

And don't get me started with the time I tried to register a Model T with a six-digit VIN...

Find someone who isn't stupid. Very, very hard to do at the DMV, but it's the only way you'll get what you need.

Guest burg314

Haha ya you are correct...it is very hard to find someone that has a dam clue and that cares at all to help you out. It's too bad there's nobody older then 28 at AAA around my county and anyone that knows what's up at the dmv could care less about what you have going on. assholes down there

Went to the tax office in Covington, VA a few years ago for some reason and a young lady working there that knew me told her boss to ask me about the problem she was having. The woman wanted to know what kind of car a Kadi was. Some one had listed the car on their property taxes and she was trying her best to come up with a value for it. Turned out the car was a Cadillac.