EX-23 Carburretor help

ken1007

I took the EX-23 Carb to Daytona parts; it is out of the 1935 Dictator that has a 1936 motor. Daytona was going to rebuilt it but the carburetor is missing, at least, several external linkage parts and has asked if I could find a "usable" 1936 EX-23 core. Based on efforts to find other parts for this car, it is doubtful but worth a try. If anyone has a usable core, let me know how much, and take pictures showing the linkage to make sure it has the needed parts. I always try to restore to original but failing the missing parts that may not be possible. The alternative is to install a new "universal" 1bbl carburetor that they had made in Argentina. It is significantly different in appearance, costs less than re-build, and performs well on many other cars. I will not be able to check clearance measurements until the Spring time. There are, possibly, some performance advantages in use of their carb, but it is preferred to rebuild the EX-23. If anyone has installed this universal 1bbl on a Studebaker flat head 6 let me know how it went. It is about one half as high as the EX-23 and is painfully obvious that it is not "original". In the meantime Daytona will see if any of their sources can come up with a core but he did not sound very confident. Ken, usually in Deltaville, Va

All your EX-23 carb are belong to me! Bwaa ha ha ha!

post-47871-143142880032_thumb.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean that, but couldn't help myself from paraphrasing the old video game/song. I'm using four EX-23 carbs on my Indy car replica project, so I have acquired a few of them. I may have some extra parts, though the cores I have bought always seemed to lack the links to the choke and throttle. It's gets complicated because the EX-23 carbs were slightly different each year (1935-37). The spacer between the upper zinc body and the lower iron base has different thicknesses making the link to the choke different. It helps if you know the number stamped on the little brass tag. The 6-62A version (1937) has a spacer that is about 7/16" thick. I think the 1935-36 cars used types 6-9 and 6-49A.

Do you know which parts you need? Studebaker International has rebuild kits if you want to do it yourself.

post-47871-143142880044_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142880039_thumb.jpg

Don:

Which rod do you need? There is one marked "S" and one marked "W" in the diagram above. It isn't obvious how rod S and its pivot can be removed from the arm on the throttle shaft. The rod is just a piece of bent steel wire, threaded on one end to screw into the pivot. Is the pivot still on your throttle arm?

# W is correct. I am unsure about your question concerning the pivot on the throttle arm. All I am missing is the choke rod itself, including the unusual top clip that holds it onto the carb choke arm, and also the bottom pivot assembly that screws to the manifold assembly. The rod itself is shown in the parts diagram you also had in your post, and looks as if, in the parts book the clip and bottom connection are a part of it.

I can't read the # on this one, but if you need the # I will go and get my parts book. I had it out the other day but it is back in the shop

for a bit. Does this help?

Ken

If you give me some time I will look for this link.

I took one of a manifold that still had the thermostat on

it but who knows where it is.

If you locate one let me know.

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks, what I need is more than one link, it's an entire core. Carb is at Daytona Parts for rebuild. Ken

Ken, The part I need (choke rod) is #79 on page 81 of the Chassis Sixes '28-'40 book. It is part # P 21678.

Now when you say a core, what do you mean? I have 3-4 spare EX-23 carbs out in the shop. All pretty grotty looking

but I think all intact. What do you need and what are they going for these days? I can get pics of them if you need.

I don't know the year of them- I suppose some are 35, some 36-37? Let me know.

What the F. Thread Hijack? One person is looking for an EX-23 core and I chipped in looking for a choke rod for the same carb.

I don't get the hijack reference. Did I do something wrong by bringing up my need for the EX-23 choke rod on the same thread? Oh well.

A picture or two would be very helpful. Rebuilder says there are several EX23 configurations during this period and before any parts are sent a picture would be helpful. The car is a 35 but has a Studebaker installed 36 motor and the carb rebuilder says he thinks is too is 36. I do not understand the reference to hijack but as far as I'm concerned I do not see a problem as long as everybody gets what they are looking for. That, sort of is what Ithink, the form is all about. Anyway send picture(s) to Renda1007@yahoo.com and I will forward to rebuilder. if it's what I need we'll figure price. Ken