Nuts and Bolts Kits for Packard

pint4

As my 37 Packard 120 Convertible Coup has come apart, the bags of nuts, bolts, and washers have multiplied daily. Most are not in the best condition. Plan to replace all if possible. As I started the process of identifying each one, I thought I should ask the forum if anyone already had a list of all of the sizes and quantities needed for the nuts, bolts, and washers left from when they did their restoration. The other thought was to ask if anyone sold a nuts, bolts, and washers kits with the needed fasteners. If not, I will continue to sort through the bags of rusty and oily fasteners.

Thanks!

Email address: pint4@new.rr.com

You can buy the proper thick head bolts, but they are expensive. The original fasteners had hardness markings like B 2 on the top or no marking at all, and many are fine thread. The B 2 bolts are not available, nor fine thread bolts with no markings, so you have to put each bolt in the lathe and cut the markings off if you buy modern hardware or stainless. The parts manual, back in section 50 gives the specs for each fastener. If you don't care about the markings or head thickness, just buy bags of hardware at the local farm store, otherwise bead blast or clean them with the wire wheel on your grinder and paint or plate them.

If you have a lathe then you are fine. I don't own one but needed to removed the raised markings on a number of fasteners. My solution was to chuck them up in a hand held drill motor and using a cheap belt sander I ground the markings off. Only you will know the grade of these fasteners after the fact. Luckily I have a local source of high grade SAE fine threaded fasteners at very good prices.