One RARE '54

MrEarl

Not many of these produced. I have only ever seen one other and it was in California. A three speed 4-door Super. And just like I like them, low mile, original paint. But as we all know MrE has already bought his last fitty fo. :( Somebody needs to look into this one. I have a call into the seller, but just to chat. http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/4800295542.html

wimper...doesn't she look cold :(

Truly a rare Buick. I often wonder why someone bought the car like that. Didn't trust these new fangled automatics, maybe for the performance, or just didn't want to spend the extra coin, even though it is a premium model? One of things we'll never know.

Hope it finds a good home.

Keith

Being around Dad's dealer ship in the 40's- 50's, I can say the TRUTH was, lots of folks were still having a hard time accepting an automatic. It was easy to work on a clutch/tranny, and shade tree mechanics could do such, a lot easier than an automatic. IMO

My job was to take all new cars to the gas station and put in 10 gallons, $2.50, NO NOT $2.50 per gallon, and I LOVED it when the car was a STICK. In five fo I was 17, "YOU KNOW, HIRE A TEENAGER WHILE THEY KNOW EVERYTHING". hehe. I was DREAMING of painting on SCALLOPS. Lol.

Dale in Indy

My Father was born in 1920. He did not develop enough confidence to by a new car with an automatic transmission until 1966. He had bought four new cars by then. I took my driver's test on a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback, 289, 3 speed.

We had a neighbor with a 4 speed 1962 Chrysler. He, like many others, was an Airstream enthusiast. There were a lot of them in the 1950's and early '60's that preferred the standard shift.

My Packard is a straight eight standard shift. I don't shift it much and sometimes take off it second. For the driver the only difference is a little extra work.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 53 Roady

I put together a 1957 Century stick in 1964 from my 46R , milled heads, the 4 barrel and a 3 speed from a junk yard. I never could afford to change the 3.07 rear though. It would only use 2 gears in the quarter but top end it was fast.

Pat