the 1980's vacuum hose daigrams, routing, and diagnoses. an american pastime!

what is it?

the joys of figuring out problems related to engine spaghetti has been fond memories for many. in a time where everything under the sun needed to be run off of engine vacuum. and the people of califorina especially loves the vacuum run emission controls when it came time for your cars biannual smog check!

so bring forth your wonderful memories and experiences and share them! fun times for everyone!

post-89748-143142877547_thumb.jpg

I spent my early days working on these systems. They're like most anything else -- once you understand what all the components are and their intended functions, the hose routings and so forth are self-explanatory.

EDIT: After a moment I realize the above must sound very smug. I was fortunate to work in the factory-supported environment with all the OE training and manuals at my disposal. But at the time, I remember thinking how difficult things must have been for the guys out in the aftermarket and third-party world, working with only a Chilton manual and the vacuum schematic decal on the core support. That would be a relative nightmare.

Edited by Magoo (see edit history)

EDIT: After a moment I realize the above must sound very smug.

Not at all. I completely agree with you. If one actually takes the time to read and understand the factory service manual, the routing and function can be understood quite easily. Unfortunately, most people simply open the hood, throw up their hands, and run screaming.

No joys, these were the dark days of automobiles, Ford with its EECIII system, Gm with feed back carbs and semi computerized

controls, mc solonoids and electronic advances...Hondas with more hoses that a player piano...And they didnt work very well

even with breakout boxes and ohm meters...as much fun as the flu!

Aahh, our 1989 Mercedes Benz 560 SL is squarely from that era. While all is well under the hood, I am contemplating two "voluntary" jobs as relates to the vacuum hoses on this car:

1) Begin replacing these hoses as a preventive maintenance step. They look decent but I also know the many ways leaks can occur and deterioration can hide. Easy enough to monitor with the handy "economy meter" in the dash that is really a vacuum gauge.

2) The Central locking system on this car is vacuum operated and one of the only, if the only thing I am aware of that is not functioning on this car. For that reason I kind of want to fix it, but part of me also does not see the need, since the top is down on it 95% of the time when it is in use.

Hmm, I figure job #1 has a 50/50 chance of being implemented next year, especially if I get bored/am out of things to do on this one, job #2 though, may wait a little longer... ;)