'29 Model A gas tank leak

davidyavidy

I'm helping a friend try to get his car going after about 4 years of sitting idle. When working on the fuel system, we discovered the tank has a crack about 3" from the fuel petcock. Is there any product out there that would seal the tank from the outside? If not, I'll have to remove the tank. It looks like a BIG job. How difficult is it to remove the fuel tank in one of these? Does the cowl have to be dismantled? Never done one before, please help.

Dave

P.S. Does it matter that the car is a Right Hand Drive from Argentina?

My understanding is that the Model A gas tank was made from a specially coated steel and that it was very difficult to weld. I don't know if it's possible to solder a crack like this or not, but you always run the risk of an explosion. A '29 tank is relatively easy to remove but it does take a lot of work. You''ll have to remove the hood, rad.support rods, coil, column support, inside fuel line, choke rod and instrument panel along with the harness. Remove the kick panels, the interior tank clamps and bolts, the outer bolts along the front of the firewall along with the dash rail bolts. After all this you should be able to push the tank up and out of the cowl, although getting it back in with the welting may prove to be more difficult. I might suggest looking for a good replacement tank. Always check the column support at the tank for signs of leakage as the '28-'30's are noted for leakage around the support. Good luck!!

There are no aftermarket tanks available for Model A's. Your friend will have to locate a good usable tank either on the internet, a good swap meet or inquire at one of the Model A clubs like MAFCA or MARC. Both clubs have items for sale.

There is a complete thread on how to weld up and repair a tank. Big job to remove and make sure you fill with water before you weld, so there is no explosion or fire.

currently the thread is running on the Ford Barn, as Dave has mentioned. Good luck.

the seal all is the easy way to go and I doubt it will last forever, but may be a good short term fix.