1989 TC

Guest TC Mike

I am new to this forum. Does anyone have info or thoughts on the reupholstering of a TC? Thanks - Mike

I have taken my 89 TC to six shops in my area (New Orleans) and these are the prices I was quoted. High-end show quality match the original leather- $1300.00 per seat. High-end show quality Rave vinyl (easy care) $900.00 per seat. Good quality matching leather at

$900.00 per seat, Rave vinyl $700.00 per seat. All other quotes were inferior quality for about $500.00 per seat. Hope this helps, Rick

I am new to this forum. Does anyone have info or thoughts on the reupholstering of a TC? Thanks - Mike

Depending on the condition of the upholstery there are many small repairs that you can do with a few simple tools or a good old carpet needle to re sew split seams.

U-Tube will teach you how to re-dye and restore old leather and for faded carpet I prefer liquid leather dye over fabric dye, spray it on with an air brush and because you will always use to much in at least one spot let it sit for a bit and dab up the excess with an old towel and keep dabbing the carpet until it looks right in bright light. Clean is the secret to this so rent a rug doctor and use the heck out of the upholstery tool. Don't be shy about using engine degreaser, or even brake cleaner on some of the grease and tar spots that show so boldly in light colored carpet as the dye will restore the color. Do not let this soak into your floor mats as it is hard on the backing, so spray it on, scrub good with a stiff/non plastic bristle brush and and use the carpet cleaner to remove as soon as the first part of the stain breaks free. Patience and perseverance and you can make even the dirtiest carpet look like it's factory new.

If you have the wrinkled dash go back to last years postings and find my Face Lift for the Wrinkled Dash, this little job takes about an hour and even if you have to buy the steamer it will still save you big money over the cost of having it done in a shop.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)