1920's Disc Wheels

Brian_Heil

Brian:

My 1929 disc wheels were 1 of 3 optional wheels that year (wire and artillery wood were the others). All 3 demounted at the hub while the standard wood wheel demounted at the rim. The discs were a popular export wheel that year but seemed to be unpopular in NA. I have a mid year model 29-48 introduction folder where the disc wheel option wasn't featured. My guess is that Dodges and Chevs used them as almost standard in mid-late 20's and people buying upscale GM cars such as Buicks found them old fashion and didn't want a car with discs. I saw an illustration of a 29-55 touring with discs and thought it looked great. I set out to find a set (in my case 6) and it took 8 years to piece together all the parts (wheels, beauty rings, hub-covers, hubcaps and special oversized side mount hubcaps - remembering that the latter 2 had to be McLaughlin Buick) and have driven on them ever since. I did find a complete set of the artillery wood wheels so now I have a set of all the optional wheels offered in 1929. I have often thought that I'll bring the other 2 sets of wheels to a Buick National and change them every night - telling prople that I have 3 pretty original roadsters - each with a different set of wheels.

bill McLaughlin